Some Seattle Sunshine

jayswett

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:23 pm

Hello, my name is Wally, from sunny Seattle, WA. Which is to say I am either an optimist or prone to exaggeration.

I am trying to make up for a lot of lost time in learning to play guitar. In August I turn 58 years old. For the past 12 to 18 months I've found a renewed interest and commitment to learning to play guitar like I really want to play, and get out of the same rut I've been in for years as a player. I played French Horn from age nine yrs. through high school in band and orchestra. As a teenager I did my best to teach myself how to play guitar and piano (not the best way to really learn how to play correctly). My sister had a cheap nylon string classical guitar to play folk songs at Campfire girl meetings, and that is the guitar I latched on to. I used song books and chord charts to figure out how to finger the chords and barre chords. Beatlemania coincided with puberty so the Fab Four were central to what made an impression on me.

I broke my leg skiing in 1978, and to relieve the boredom while I was idle I bought a pretty good Guild D35-NT model guitar to amuse myself. That has been my one and only guitar over the years, until I went electric this year. Now in addition I have a Mexican Fender Strat and Tele, and a Gibson Les Paul standard pro.

A lot of my musical energy and interest over the last 15 to 20 years has been directed towards composing and arranging songs in computer based recording and MIDI. I play around with Garage Band, Logic, Propellerhead Record/Reason.

I have found that the internet and YouTube etc. now has a wealth of information and lessons to learn and improve as a guitar player. But I was really impressed with Neil's teaching, and the focused way he breaks everything down in bite sized pieces. And what is even better, so many of the lessons are to learn all the songs I've wanted to play for years. The Target program is such a bargain, I couldn't pass it up.

I work as railroad freight train locomotive engineer between Seattle and Portland, OR. I often have idle time waiting to return to work. I hope to use that time in practicing the guitar, rather than wasting time watching TV.

This looks like an excellent community and learning environment. I hope to get to know y'all better in time.

Moondog

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Welcome
Glad you found us.

I'm just down the road in Olympia.

Mike

tovo

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:41 pm

Hey Wally. I know another fellow in Seattle named Wally, that is something of a coincidence I guess, given I myself live in Adelaide Australia.

Great intro. I see you have already posted a couple of tunes, that's great as well.

Many people here are returning to guitar with a renewed commitment so you are in very good company.

I hope you will enjoy the site and progress positively in your playing goals. Welcome aboard.

BobR

Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Hi Wally,

Nice introduction. I have seen a couple of your videos already.Good job. I am sure you will really enjoy your time here. As I am sure you've seen everyone is always willing to help. And as you noted Neil's lessons are great.

Welcome from Massachusetts
Bob

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:21 am

Hey Wally good to have you on board and I hope you have fun here. NW US is well represented at TG so you may fine some buddies to play with. Greeting's form a rainy Switzerland ... the rain is a welcome cool-off from the weeks of 34 - 37 degrees plus we've been having... except I have tickets for the open air cinema on lake Zürich tonight. Shoot!

Chasplaya

Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:58 pm

Well now I know! :laugh:

In Britain and NZ we have kids books called 'Where's Wally (Waldo in US) Now'. Great intro Wally, I don't believe I've checked your vids out yet but I sure will now. Great intro you should fit right in here at TG. Similar story to many of us and similar age bracket I might add, so that's all good.

Look forward to your continued contributions to the Forum.

regards

Chas

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic