Ready to learn some good music

csmccubbin

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:26 am

Hello. My name is Crystal and I'm 32. I stumbled on this site looking for some lessons. My mom taught me how to play years ago. I learned enough to get by. The first song she taught me was Stairway to Heaven!! Yes, I know...crazy, but she learned me well!! LOL! She passed away last year at age 50 from pancreatic cancer and so I inherited her beautiful 12 string Alverez made by Kazuo Yairi. I feel her in my heart pulling me to play. My whole life I remember my mom playing. As a kid, I remember falling asleep with my head in her lap behind her guitar. I want my kids to have those kinds of memories of me. So here I am trying to learn more. I love classic rock and this site seems to have quite a bit of my genre of choice. The economy has hit my family hard, so I have a little time on my hands to play and learn. I'm pretty excited to get my fingers in shape and moving!! Look forward to chatting with some of you.

Rock on,
Crystal!!! Image

BigBear

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:17 am

Crystal- Welcome to Totally Guitars from Oregon. Sorry about the pounding you're taking due to this economy. It's no fun! I haven't worked full time in a year and it's getting old. But it does give me more time to practice!

That's a really nice guitar 12 string you inheritied but I'm very sorry you had to lose your mom to get it. Hopefully, you can make some beautiful music with it in her memory.

I've got a 12 string myself and I love the sound of it! You can hear mine at this link:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/129 ... of-silence

That's me on the left with Jerry. Because of this wonderful site I was able to meet another member from Texas when he came to Portland to visit his daughter. It's just an example of why Totally Guitars is cool!

Don't be a stranger on the forum and let us know if we can ever help you out. There are tons of helpful people here. And best wishes for recovering economically!!

Cheers! :cheer:

thereshopeyet

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:46 am

Thanks

6stringbostic

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:58 am

welcome to tg from southern california crystal! you'll love it here as we do.

enjoy - music and guitars are a blessing - and so is this site and it's members

see u soon

take care,

tovo

Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:20 am

Hey Crystal from Adelaide Australia. Some great people on this site, some of them even live in your country! (That's my idea of a joke) actually LOTS of them live in your country, but you will also find plenty of people around the World to chat with if that takes your fancy. Always good for those times when you can't sleep.

I too, am sorry to hear of the loss of your Mother, that is a tough row to hoe. It sounds like you have good reason to keep playing and improving, and this is a good place to do it. I'm sure you will find a supportive bunch here, welcome aboard.

jayswett

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:58 am

We don't see many 12 strings on this site. Looking forward so hearing some music our of your Mom's old guitar. Welcome to TG.

dennisg

Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:37 am

Hi Crystal,

Welcome to Totally Guitars, from sunny Seattle. I hope (and expect) this site to be even more fulfilling than you ever imagined. There's just so much to do and learn here. It can seem mind-boggling at first, but take it at whatever pace you're comfortable with. No need to rush.

My situation is somewhat similar to yours. My brother taught me to play when I was about 14. I dabbled with it off and on for a few years, then dropped it completely when my brother moved out of the country. He passed away 18 months ago, and I decided to honor his memory by picking up the guitar again ... after a brief 35-year hiatus.

One thing I might suggest is to add a 6-string to your stable whenever it's practical to do so (in this economy, you can find great deals on used ones on Craigslist or in your local newspaper). I think you'll find a 6 much, much easier to learn on and far more versatile. I know the 12-string means a lot to you, and it should, so you'll want to keep and play that forever. But you'll love how easy it is to play a 6.

Best of luck to you. See you around.

Lavallee

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:07 am

Hello Crystal, welcome to TG from Montreal, Canada. As the others have said, you will find a lot of help on the site as everybody loves learning guitar.

Stairway to Heaven was also the first real song that I learned, more than 3 decades ago. Mind you after looking at Neil's lesson in the Target program, I had to rework many things. Many people (including me) have played for a few years in their youth and just came back. Lots of younger people as well. So we are in a learning mode.

This is to say that any frustrations, difficulties or questions you will have , we are going through it, same process for everybody. So do not be afraid to ask questions in the forum, someone will most likely be able to help (there are many very knowledgeable members). If the answer is not correct or incomplete, Neil might jump in.

Marc

MarkM

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:26 am

Crystal,

Welcome from NH. As others have said this is a great place to learn and you'll have all the support you need. I'm really looking forward to hearing that 12 string. To my knowledge we only have a few members on here that have used one on a video. Reach out with any questions and I'm sure someone will get right back to you.

MarkM

lmc831

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:57 am

Hi Crystal,
Lisa here from Texas welcomes you to TG. You will love this guitar site and our community. So sorry to hear about your Mom. I know what you r going thru with your loss...Anyway, hope to see you around the forum and hope u enjoy TG!

Lisa

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic