New Member to guitar World

cralph

Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi,

My name is Charles Ralph and I am new to the guitar and this site. I just started Playing a few months ago and know nothing at this point. I have been trying to learn a little on my own through books, but it doesn't seem very efficient. I joined this site to see if it will work better. My main fear is I am not great with computers and this site seems very computer based. I may need a lot of help in this area. I tried some of the free lessons and that seems to be helping. However, The lessons have guitar pro attachments and I do not know what that is or how to get that program. Any information on this subjuect will be helpful. I am looking forward to learning the quitar but am a little afraid and unknowlegable on how this site will help. Where would I go to get started on lessons. I am a target member, but do not really know where to start. I am not really ready to learn most songs, but it is fun trying. It looks like a great site. I am eager to get started in this slow process.

mcfingers

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:38 pm

Hey Charles,
Welcome. There is a ton of information about playing on this site as you know doubt have discovered. I would suggest clicking on the TARGET(the maroon button on the top left of this screen) and start with the beginner lessons. I don't have Guitar Pro either and I don't think that will be a problem for you at this stage of your game. Just download the charts for a lesson and that should be enough to get you going.

There are a ton of great people on this site and they are usually more than willing to offer help when asked so, don't be shy and most of all enjoy the journey.

Steve

willem

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Charles,welcome from the Netherlands,, i garanty you that Neil teach you the whole world,,realy,,witch song do you want to learn first?? after you been thru the beginners lesson.

Lavallee

Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:54 pm

Hi Charles welcome from Montreal Canada. You are definitely at the right place to learn. You have the best teacher, great lessons and the Genius section to help you with the basic strumming, basic chords, and all the theory you want.

Since you are new to guitar I would suggest to pick up a song to practice the basic chords. The best lesson for this seems to be Lucky Man (the link is below). All the lessons have a PDF file just below the lesson itself in the attachment section)which you can read the chords from. You just have to double click on it for it to open. Normally your PC should have the Adobe Acrobat reader which opens the PDF file automatically.

Once you are more familiar with the lessons, you could buy Guitar Pro from the link in the TG site (upper right corner icon) (about $60)

This lessons cover all the aspect of the song. Just click on each link of the lesson to open the video.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... y-man#song

To have access to all the lessons just click on the Target button (upper left of this page) and select "Songs and artist".You will see all the lessons listed by the artist or group.

So the song is a project for you to learn but you have to look at the basics which you will find at the link below:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-ho ... -beginning

To locate the section select the Target button again and down the list you will see: " acoustic genius series" . You might have more lessons than for one page, so look at the bottom and you will the page 1-2 Next, which you can select to view the next page.

You should also look at the following for a list of all the basic open chords from this link:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/guitar-ti ... c-chords-1

You can always ask question on the forum on any subject, there no questions that are not worth asking since everybody went through the same steps as you are going through. So please ask.

Welcome aboard

Marc

tovo

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi Charles, from Australia.

The site is computer based only insofar as you need a computer to access it! It's "people based" mate. If you have a problem speak up, someone (several people usually) will help you out.

You're lucky. Being here as an absolute beginner means you have the opportunity and resources to learn right the first time. Many need to undo bad habits built over a lifetime.

Good luck and welcome.

beaker

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:35 pm

Have fun learning Charles. You will be amazed to watch your progress. But at the same time, don't expect instant results. This guitar journey is a long one. Be prepared to be dedicated, sometimes frustrated and also experience small victories along the way. When you learn Lucky Man (if that is in fact a song that you do decide to learn) be sure to post it. Beaker.

jayswett

Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:49 pm

I wouldn't worry about Guitar Pro for now. I don't use it at all, although I must admit I've been tempted to take a look at it. You simply don't need it at this point. There are plenty of beginners on this site, so you are in good company.

Hydroman52

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi Charles,

Welcome to the site. All good advice here. If you have trouble and you can’t get an answer on the forum (this is probably unlikely), you can click on “SUPPORT” on the menu above and to the right and you will be guided through a process where you can ask a question of the support team.

A brief word of warning about the site structure, we have been informed that the site is being redesigned a bit and things may be moved around in the not too distant future. Just some minor growing pains.

Hope this helps and glad to have you aboard,
Hydroman52

Chasplaya

Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:16 pm

HI Charles and welcome from another Charles from New Zealand , although I am a Scot.

I guess already you will see that the guys around here are very helpful, Marc aka Lavallee has provided you with excellent links to various places in the site, just click on them and the world of guitar learning will be before you. Whilst I am a prolific supporter of Guitar Pro, it may be a bit much to handle at present for you but nevertheless is a great tool to aid you in your journey. Maybe take a look at the free demo version you can get , although be advised its not the full deal as its demo only, it has limitations. If you do get it feel free to ask, there is not much I don't know about it as I've used it for years. Same applies to any challenge you meet, check through the various categories in the forums and put up a question as Tony aka TOVO states its very much a people place and loads of the guys will swamp you with good advice. Neil doesn't always answer personally as he is comfortable with fellow members helping out , although he will jump in if he has different views or better ways of explaining things.

AS a matter of interest what are your tastes in music and what kind of guitar do you have?

Look forward to seeing you around the place.

regards

Chas

haoli25

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:43 pm

Hello Charles. Glad you decided to join us here at TG. You are in very good company, all of us have been where you are now. This site and the people here will help you get the most from your learning experience. If you get stuck and need some help, or if you have a question, ask away. We will be happy to help you.

Bill Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic