Another introduction..

familyman4

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:19 pm

Hello everybody!

I signed up two months ago and I didn't really notice that it would be nice to introduce myself. Guess I was busy learning and learning first before checking the forum properly.

However, I am Vanessa, from the Netherlands and I've been playing the guitar almost all my life, the first song that I could play was a little children-song, two chords on a ukelele, when I was I guess three or four years old. My father played the guitar so he taught me the best he could, classically, but of course also popmusic and all, I was really lucky to be trained at such an early age! I even learned to play the piano and the drums, he just let me do whatever I liked, again I was lucky!

But I have to say when I reached the age of 13/14, I became lazy and didn't want to practice that much anymore and my father let me go, guess he thought he had done enough. On the other hand I kept playing a lot, performed a lot, as long as it was fun. And of course I was also distracted by a lot of other things in life. But like I said, I kept playing for years and years, with other people, in bands, on occasions, but I just didn't learn that much anymore (in other words, I could've been a múch múch better player than I am today :( , I'm 38 now..).

But finally, the last 5/6 years, it suddenly all changed. Here and there I was teaching other people and slowly but surely I became interested in understanding more what I was doing, musically, theoretically and of course in developing my skills. The teaching kinda forced me into becoming a better player, I mean 'what am I going to teach them after a while?' So since three and a half years I have a teaching-business in guitar, piano and drums. And because of that I'm always looking for guitarteachers and their methods and educational sites and that's where Neil and this site came in. I watched one of his video's on youtube and I just thought his way of teaching is just gréat! I also loved most of the music-styles and songs that he teaches, so I decided to sign up for at least 6 months (7 months, because of the one month-bonus.) and ever since I've been on the site almost daily, not just to learn new songs, but even more all the theory behind it and hów to teach them to others!

Conclusion, I just love the site, it teaches me new songs, songs that I love, it teaches me hów to teach my students and it fills in all the gabs theoretically, so I'm really really happy over here!

Well I guess this is it, wish all of you all the best and of course happy guitar-playing!

Vanessa Image

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:23 pm

Welcome from Switzerland Vanessa! hope you have fun here... cute photo! I'm sure Willem and ANton will be along to welcome you soon... our Dutch ambassadors.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:24 pm

Ah thank you so very much, I will have fun!!

tovo

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Hey Vanessa great introduction. We have a couple of notable Dutch members who are a really important part of our community, I hope you will be also.

Holland is important to me because my Mother in Law is Dutch, and if it wasn't for Holland Australia would have no soccer coaches. I've visited Den Hague and loved it, what a beautiful place.

Be well, keep playing and don't be a stranger.

Cute kids as well!

tovo

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:29 pm

Wauw, what a warm welcome, that's so sweet, thank you! (actually, these kids are me to the left and my sister to the right!) And yes I'll try to contribute as well! 'Groetjes'!

haoli25

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi, Vanessa. I am glad you decided to join us. Feel free to share any of your tips and tricks with us, your questions and opinions are also welcome here. As Tony and Chris have said, I am sure that Willem and Anton will be along soon to give you a Dutch Welcome, but go easy on them.....both are very, very SHY. :laugh:

Great picture, they are cuties.

Bill

haoli25

Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:37 pm

Well a big thank you to you too! You know, at this point I'm really curious for the dutch ambassadors! And yes of course I'd like to contribute, I don't only love playing, but I also love to talk about playing music forever, haha! But I have to say that the forum is só full of topics, that I wouldn't know where to begin, but of course i'll go checking what everyone is talking all about!

Kind regards,

Vanessa

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:04 pm

HI Vanessa Warm welcome to Totally Guitars, Cool photo , does your sister still play guitar? I am sure you will enjoy this place, similar story about your music background to many of the team here. What are your music preferences and hey what kind of guitar have you. Willem and Anton won't be far away with a Dutch greeting I'm sure, they are two of our long term members and site stalwarts. Please jump in and talk away on the forums, almost as much can be learnt here as in the lessons, but sometimes we just get plain silly :laugh:

Chas from New Zealand

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi Chas, thanks for your warm welcome!

To answer your questions, my sister doesn't play the guitar anymore, unfortunately I think, she's a year older than me, so she was also a little ahead of me back then (classically), she's a singer instead (you can see her in my profile-picture), so occasionally we play and sing together, besides playing instruments, I also lóve singing!

My musical preferences, I really like to play the old stuff, sixties and seventies, like CSN&Y, Eagles, Beatles, Pink Floyd, Simon&Garfunkel and yet many more, that's why I also like this site so much, Neil has all those songs! I can finally play 4+20!!!!! The alternate tuning just never occured to me, Neil fills in all the gabs! However when I play the guitar, I really like fingerstyle-stuff and sometimes classical stuff, Bourree for example, but also pieces like Classical gas and of course popmusic.

I have to admit that I have lots of guitars, my acoustic ones (steelstring and classical) are Tanglewoods (and another classical LAG-one), they're great ánd payable, haha! And of course an electric one, a Fender (finally) and a jazz-guitar (Peavey) and two bass-guitars (acoustic and electrical), a Yamaha 12-string, so finally after collecting them after several years, I'm satisfied! (Well I'd like a second steelstring to use for alternate tuning, usually guitars don't like it very much when you tune them this way and then that way, but I guess you know what I mean.)

Anyways, how about you, what do you like, music, and what guitars? (But maybe I should read your profile after finishing this?!)

Thanks again for your warm welcome!

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:34 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Hi Chas, thanks for your warm welcome!

Anyways, how about you, what do you like, music, and what guitars? (But maybe I should read your profile after finishing this?!)

Thanks again for your warm welcome!
Hi Vanessa, My profile page doesn't have a lot of specifics, maybe I need to update that. You have the same affliction as a lot of us here G.A.S. = Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. I currently have a Cole Clark FL1AC (dreadnought) an Alhambra steel string dreadnought a Takamine 12 string a Takamine classical, a Johnson Resonator a EPiphone acoustic and a Epiphone Riviera Elite electric. I like pretty much the same music as you have listed plus a few others America, Neil Young solo, Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Fleetwood Mac early line up with Peter Green to name a few.

Cheers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic