Introduction from sunny Spain

lil40

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:28 pm

I'd like to also introduce myself. My name is Lil, I am German, 41 years old (ish) with two lovely kids (6 and 7) and live in the South of Spain (as you do :P )

I have picked the guitar up a couple of times in my life but never made it further than the F chord before giving up again...

My New Year's resolution this year was to find a hobby, and stick with it!

I've started in April and have pretty much managed to practise regularly ever since. I absolutely love playing the guitar most of the time - apart from the moments where I could happily throw in the towel because progress seems to be nonexistent but this time I won't let myself.

Been struggling with the pick, fingerpicking comes easier to me than picking but for the last three weeks I have done all my practising with the pick and we are finally starting to make friends ;)

I'm working on Poker Face (Chris Daughtry cover) and Wherever you will go (The Calling). Also Heart of Gold (Neil Young) and Father and Son (Cat Stevens), Broken Strings (James Morrison) etc etc :cheer:

I've found TG on Youtube and it's fantastic!! You guys seem to have a great community and Neil is such a brilliant teacher!

Oh and I've treated myself to a Taylor 114ce after playing on my Lidl guitar for the first 4 months and I love it :kiss:

So - hi again to all of you, it's nice to meet you!

Lil

willem

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:44 pm

HI,,happy to meet you to from rainy Netherlands,,wish you a good yourney on this fabelous site,,there ain''t a better one,,,and keep pickin,,well flat and alternate,,but also with your fingers,,it's all up here,,and you know you can upload a vid from you progress??

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:45 pm

HI Lil, Welcome to TG, you're gonna love it here. The lessons are just fantastic and the community here is top notch. Look forward to hear how you progress , as you will with everyone's help from this site.

Chas

Craig

Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:49 pm

Ah there you are! Nice to meet you again and to hear more about yourself!

I do envy you for being in sunny Spain, over here it has been raining for quite a few days.... :(

Did you figure out this chord of Poker face already?

Anyway, welcome again and have fun around here!

Vanessa

lil40

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Thank you guys for making me feel welcome!

It's nice to know there are so many like minded people out there. I'm pretty much on my own with my new guitar obsession down here. There's either the pros who are so way out of my league and play live in bars or me...

Then again, if I keep plodding away I might be a pro one day - give or take 10 years :laugh:

I am in awe of Neil and all these people out there who started the guitar at a very early age and never gave up practising!! :ohmy:

lil40

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:18 pm

@ Vanessa

Thank you! The chord does indeed seem to be a D chord (add9 and 11 or so).
Still sounding odd but if it's legitimate and has a name who am I to argue?? :P

tovo

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Hey Lil. Nice intro. Yeah you live in a really terrible place! :laugh:

I worked on "Wherever you will go" a while back" great tune. So are some of the others you mentioned. Keep at it, it's worth the effort.

Cheers, Tony.

lil40

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Thanks Tony! It's a great song, still finding it difficult picking it with the pick without looking at the strings :dry:

Also changing from the strumming bits back to the picking sections needs a bit more smoothness :huh:

But all in all it could be worse...

wammer

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:57 pm

Hahaha, yeah you're right, I wouldn't make up a chord like that as well! :P

lil40 wrote:
@ Vanessa

Thank you! The chord does indeed seem to be a D chord (add9 and 11 or so).
Still sounding odd but if it's legitimate and has a name who am I to argue?? :P

michelew

Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi from Sydney Lil. That was a great introduction. Stick around and my guess is you'll be playing like those professionals sooner than you ever thought possible. Consider joining TARGET. That will definitely help you on your way.

See you around.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic