Hey

oldguyplayin

Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:59 am

I'm 59...any other senior members around? Have a guitar for 40 years and tried to actually start learning how to play 3 years ago. Knew the chords etc but not much else. Have been taking lessons from a guy my age who did studio work with some majors "back in the day". Have fun and am learning but parts of way too many old r&r songs. Bounced around on the net to sites by Marty Schwartz, Justin Sandercoe, Griff Hamlin, numerous you tube lessons and etc, etc. Too much information!! Trying to find a practical way to advance beyond just hammering out stuff. Will this site help? Just bought a Taylor 110...low end of their line but sounds and plays much better than my old Epiphone. Anyway, hoping I can learn something here before total arthritis sets in!!

Lavallee

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:35 am

Welcome to the TG site from Montreal. You have found the right place to learn. There are a many songs on the free section and there is a free quick tips section (follow the link below). You can already do chords so some of this might look be a little basic, but if you take the time to watch, there is always something to learn. The difference with this site from others, is that you will not just learn how to play a song but what is the best approach to take versus another one. You learn to be more efficient giving more fluidity to your playing. If you really want to get into learning mode, the Target program is definitely where you want to be. The lessons are much deeper than the free section (commonly 5 or 6 chapters of different aspects of the song), there is an acoustic genius section for the theory.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/guitar-ti ... techniques

Some free songs lessons

http://www.totallyguitars.com/free-guitar-lessons

Free partial lessons

http://www.totallyguitars.com/partial-guitar-lessons

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:27 am

A lot of folks here in their 50's and 60's. I think Chasplaya is the oldest, 109 at last count I think?
So no worries on that count Oldguyplayin you are one of the young ones!
I really recommend you join TARGET... you will have a ball and never look back. So much to learn and so little time!
Chris in Switzerland.

BigBear

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:45 am

Hey Old Guy! You are in great company on this site. Chris is almost right, Chas won't be 109 until next year! LOL! We don't give much respect to our elders around here. I'm only a couple of years begind you!

So big welcome from Portland, Oregon. I've been to all the sites you mentioned and many others as well. This one is the real deal. But you MUST serioously consider joining the TARGET program. I joined within a week of it starting last year and it is the single best investment in guitar education I've ever made.

I was probably a little ahead of where you are now playing wise but since joining my rusty skills have skyrocketed. I can now take on songs I never would have even tried before. It is all because Neil Hogan is the best instructor, by far, I've ever encountered. Plus, he and his partner Matt Williams are just really cool guys. The kind of guys you'd like to share a beer with!

So give it some thought and if the budget allows jump in with the rest of us! Either way, we're glad to have you with us and let us know if we can ever help you out! This forum is the second coolest part of this site!

Happy playin' and cheers! :cheer:

sbutler

Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:13 am

Old guy? Hmmm, Well Scott here from Alaska. Will be hitting 53 on the 23rd of Dec.

And I second all of the above. I've been wanting to learn to play for several years. I finally pulled the trigger and bought an old black Signa on Craigslist, and tried to teach myself. I got through the chords I remembered as a kid, but struggled with find someone that would really connect with me and the way I need to be taught.

I found this site and jumped in feet first. I'm going on 9 months now and sad to say that I'm more than just addicted.

This site will not only teach you how to play all the way through many songs, but will teach you to be a musician if you want the theory to go with it.

You'll get out of it what you put into it, but don't be surprised if you find this is the bargain of your life.

Scott

Yamaha48

Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:27 pm

Hi there!

Welcome, welcome to TotallyGuitars!

I also surfed around the net a lot to find what I was looking for, also found the websites that you've mentioned, but really over here ís the place to be, I am nót exaggerating! It's not just the great songs, not just all the theory behind it, but it's also about a gréat teacher (who teaches me hów to teach others)! I was looking for all that and found it all over here, so after watching two video's on Youtube and a quick look around the website I jumped right in and now I am here almost daily ever since. I hope you will have as much fun and learn as much as I'm doing, but I can assure you that you will!

All the best,

Vanessa (Guess I'm one of the younger students over here, would like to know your name, don't want to call you Old Guy ;) ....if you know what I mean!)

Yamaha48

Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:35 pm

Welcome here oldguy.
You can learn a lot of songs here.
Neils explanation is verry good.
Follow the numbers,skil levels.
Hope you find your way.
Hope to see,or hear from you.

Greetz from the Netherlands. Anton

willem

Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:24 am

Oke youngman,,hello from the Netherlands-WIllem,,please to meet you,,you can be glad you bumped on this site,,,i respect all guitar teaching teachers,,but our(so to speak) is diffrent and tribesheadman of all teachers,,great lessons here,free and pay ones,,let me tell you that target is the place to be ,so detailed lessons,,all kind of styles,,just signe up(you can alway's signe out),,great supporting community too...AND BEFORE I FORGET,,they are all wrong on CHAS,,he is the youngest...he lives in New Sealand,,there you stay young,,like here on this site....ask him..

AcousticAl

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:10 pm

Welcome to the site, Oldguy.

Lots of old guys & gals to commiserate with on here.

Gotta go- bursitis is acting up again.
:)

boldent

Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:52 am

Hello oldguy. I recently joined Totally Guitars so I guess that makes me the newguy, hehehe. So far I have no regrets joining. The biggest problem I have concerning this website is to try and not learn all these songs at once. At this time I’m working on a total of (3) songs and I have to repeatedly tell myself, don’t open other lesson, learn these (3) first.  But that’s a good thing. There are many songs to choose from and Neil is adding more.

If you love the acoustic guitar as much as I do, this is the place to be.

Thanks,

Tony B.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic