Greetings to the community

bluejay52

Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:38 pm

I just joined TotallyGuitars after finding a video of Neil doing Scott Joplin's "Heliotrope Bouquet" on YouTube. I'm 58, live in Seattle, and have played for decades but never had lessons and am in desperate need of improvement. My wife's and my son and daughter are, respectively, 22 (grown and gone) and 17 (now in college) so I finally have more time to devote to my love of this wonderful instrument.

Incidentally, I'd love to purchase Neil's full lessons for "Heliotrope Bouquet" but, frustratingly, I can't find any reference to it on this website. If any of you can help me locate it on TotallyGuitars so that I can place an order, I'd be very grateful.

I'm so glad I discovered TotallyGuitars. Can't wait to learn new songs by the Beatles, Neil Young, James Taylor, and so on!

:) Jay

tovo

Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:58 pm

Hi Jay. Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself. I don't think Neil has gotten around to a full lesson on "Heliotrope Bouquet" yet. The free short videos he does are sample lessons that don't necessarily become full lessons. The Target members recommend lessons, or Neil decides to do a full lesson because he sees real value in a particular technique. TG is more about teaching techniques that allow you to learn your favorites for yourself because you have learned all the skills needed. Having said that, there is heaps of very good free content and if you decide to go for the paid content there is much, much more. By the way, I don't work for TG, I'm not their salesperson, I'm just a member. I can't recommend Target enough, you should really think about joining that program.

Lavallee

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:16 am

Hi Jay, welcome to Tg from Montreal Canada. As Tony said, the song might not be there but you will learn the tools to play any songs.

Marc

michelew

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:24 am

Hi from Sydney. If you're anything like me you'll just love it here. The hardest thing about this site is finding the time to learn everything you're interested in and sticking to a learning list, that is to avoid getting distracted by the the latest shiny, fun new lesson. But what a problem to have eh?

Enjoy. See you around.

Michele

willem

Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:04 am

Hi Jay!

I can also not recommend TotallyGuitars enough, have checked many websites and this is the one that I dón't wanna let go anymore! Great songs, great teacher and lots of techniques and theory to learn, hope you will join, you won't be dissapointed!

All the best,

Vanessa

willem

Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:11 am

More time on your hands,(your words) i wish i at,,why,,wel the same thing as you to learn guitar and songs,,,I tell you a litlle story,,my name is Willem from the Netherlands 57 years old(glad to meet you),i began to learn about the guitar 7/8 years ago,,just finding out by my self and Youtube(you know such things),,i was not happy,,so i went to a private teacher and yes this was great,,but then also some sadness in the way of,going home after the lesson and then being on your own,,forgetting something and the next week or after two weeks it seemed that i must start over,,so this was to expensive for me and the progress was very slow,,so i stopped with that,,but if you want to go furter,,agian searching on the net,,then i bumped on Neil Hogan,,it was in the time that this site just started and man if you believe it or not,, in one year there is such a progress and when NEIL explaines i know it right away,,just so clear,,he as the teachers blood and i believe it was all free lessons at that time,,but i know it was IT!!! THEN they started TARGET program(payed),,before i knew it i was a subcriber of that($ 19,95/month, then),never regret one day,,so much lesson today(100dreds) and every day more,,not only songs but a lot more, why this huge talking of me? well its not only the detailed lessons it is also the community,,much supporting people from all over the world,,as a free memeber your for a part aware of that,but you can taste it, and for the lessons Neil teach's us songs but also he makes you a better guitarist and gives you tools to figure out by your self...enough said now and if i forgot something i'm sure other members come in,,,if YOU PLEASE,,,join TARGET,, DETAILED lessons and if you forget something you was told you just play the video lesson BACK AND BACK AND BACK,,,see you,,

neverfoundthetime

Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:15 am

Hi Jay and welcome up there in Seattle from Switzerland. Your story is the standard template for TG members so you will feel right at home here. I joined a year ago and have developed (as a pupil) almost as fast as the site itself which is just bursting out of it's pupal stage (in a major redesign) to take on its fully fledged Butterfly form! TARGET is a must if you are serious about improving so I really recommend you sign up there... a move that non of us here has ever regretted.
Chris

BigBear

Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:44 am

Hey Jay!! Big wlcome to TG from just down I-5 in Portland (Hillsboro). We're glad you found us!

This is the place for you. You are so much like so many of us, played for years but never really got good or past the campfire song stage. Kids are a little older and now it's time to do what you wished you had done years ago- learn to play the guitar! I'm right there with you buddy!

There is tons of great free stuff on this site and it will keep you entertained for a long time. But like so many of my friends here have suggested, you really need to join the TARGET program to accomplish what you want in your introduction.

I joined TARGET the week it first began and I can honestly say it is the single best investment in guitar education I've ever made. I'm your age and have played since I was 14, but never very well. In a year and a half in the TARGET program my playing has skyrocketed. I still have a very long way to go but now I'll take on any song, classical pieces, difficult fingerstyle pieces, anything because Neil has instilled a confidemce in me that I never had before. And I've never even met Neil!

Neil Hogan is simply the best instructor I've ever encountered. He has taught for years and he understands perfectly the challenges of guitarist with too little time and big hopes to become better. Plus the man isn't an egomaniac like so many teachers who are great guitarists. They always feel the need to impress. Neil doesn't need to say a word and you'll be impressed!

So I strongly recommend, if your budget allows, giving TARGET a try for a month or two. These guys have made it easy to get out if it isn't for you. But be warned, once you've joined you'll become addicted to this site and practicing like the rest of us. Because of almost 300 great, classic tunes and all the fantastic lessons you'll be chomping at the bit to come home so you can play. My only problem is a serious lack of focus because I have so many songs in the hopper and never enough time! Tough problem I know!

Great to have you with us and don't be a stringer to this forum!

Good luck, happy playin' and cheers! :cheer:

MarkM

Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:49 am

Hello Jay. Ditto for me as to what everyone is saying. This is a fantastic place to learn and progress as a player. Looks like we can add another person who hails from Seattle. We have a few others here as well that I'm sure will chime in.Welcome aboard.

MarkM

Chasplaya

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:50 pm

HI Jay, Welcome to TG, its all been said already! This is THE Place to learn or hone your guitar skills. Nobody else comes close.

Take the plunge join the TARGET programme, like Tony (TOVO) I'm not staff just a very satisfied member.

Hope to see you around

Chas the Scot from New Zealand ,

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic