hello!!

gyhra88

Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:14 am

hey TG members..im am a 19 year old soldier in the US Army..i am serving my second tour in Afghanistan (first one in Iraq)..i proud b/c im one of the few 19 year olds that can say they have served 2 tours of duty..anyways im new at this guitar stuff..i just picked one up last week and needed something to do over here that brings me back home..i didnt plan on learning from scratch here so i ordered a book (called Hal Leonard Guitar Method, Complete Edition), dont know if its good so i figured i would have a couple of references about guitars. anyways i hope you all have a great day and keep supporting the troops over here..god bless and goodbye

tombo1230

Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:15 am

Hi gyhra88,
welcome to TG. You have come to the right place as you have everything at your fingertips here so to speak. This is a great site and everyone will encourage you to do better. 19 is a great age to start to learn guitar. All you need to do is put in the practice. Everything you need to learn properly is available on this site. Neil has a real Knack of getting inside your head, he knows exactly what you need to know, like he is in your shoes and understands what it is like to try to learn. Get onto some of the beginners lessons and you should be playing something real soon. The good thing about the way Neil teaches is that he uses songs to teach you techniques, which can help you play other songs. Enjoy your guitar journey and keep out of harms way.

All the best,

Tom N.

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:40 am

Welcome!

TG is a great way to spend your down time. It will make you wish you had way more of it! Also, if you're bunking with others, you'll be playing actual songs in no time, so hopefully it will be enjoyable for them too.

Stay safe.

Al (from Canada)

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:38 am

Hi Gyhra88!

Just wanna welcome you from the Netherlands!

And yes, playing music is a great way of filling in your free moments. And since you're new to the guitar, make sure you'll check out the Acoustic Genius Series, só much to learn from there, you won't be dissapointed, Neil's the greatest teacher around!

However, have fun playing and stay safe!

Greetz'

Vanessa

Lavallee

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:31 am

Hi Gyrha88, Welcoem from Montreal Canada, It is gret that you have joined the site. You will find a lot of information on the site to help you in your guitar journey. Feel free to ask any questions on the forum as everybody went through the beginner steps so you should have a lot of help. What kind of guitar did you get (electric, classical, accoustic?

Marc

Chasplaya

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:39 pm

Hi gyrha88, From Chas in New Zealand (not a NZ'er though I am Scottish)

Welcome to TG, certainly a great place to learn guitar using popular songs old and new. As Vanessa has said check out the Acoustic genius series and the level 1 songs from the master list. Also suggest you consider joining the TARGET programme heaps of great music to learn in that.

There are a few ex military guys on the site so we can mostly emphasise with you and understand the need for something to occupy your mind, guitar is certainly a great way to accomplish just that. Stay safe my friend and enjoy that guitar.

Chas

tovo

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi mate from Australia. Keep playing and keep safe, I hope the guitar will become a good friend to you.

AndyT

Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Aloha and welcome to TG!

You have chosen a great place to learn. As you have already read, many of us here are Ex-military and understand where you are. I pray that we will all see the uselessness of war and everyone will go home and live in peace.

In the meantime, I hope you picked a cheap guitar to have there on the battlefield. Something like a Taylor or a Cole Clark even. Don't risk something nice like a Takamine or a Martin. LOL!
(just kidding)

gyhra88

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:28 am

i got a cheap one for the first one..its a peavey electric acoustic

gyhra88

Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:30 am

thanks everyone for making me feel welcome and thanks for the encourgement b/c i will need it..i hope it just comes to me like most things i do..anyways every have a great day and god bless you all :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic