New Target member here!

bluesy1

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:11 pm

Hello all,
My name is Diana and I am a brand new member here. I first saw some of Neil's guitar lesson videos on You Tube and was very impressed with how consistently well done the lessons were, and are. I have not seen any others of the same caliber.

I first started playing acoustic guitar in middle school (a long time ago!) and then stopped altogether. I took it up again around 2003 and I have been playing on/off ever since. I am mostly self-taught, and I play by ear and can pick out notes and songs and chords on my own, given enough close listening. I love playing country blues (a la Mississippi John Hurt, Etta Baker, etc) but I also love playing the classic folk/pop songs that I grew up with the '70s like Cat Stevens, Neil Young, Doobie Brothers, Janis Ian, and so on. I also do a little flatpicking as well, and I love fiddle tunes.

I look forward to learning more songs with TG and meeting other members here on the site.

tovo

Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi Diana from South Australia. You found a great site here, hope you get a lot from it. I'm a fellow Cat Stevens fan and most of the other folk artists you mentioned. Where are you from?

Anyway, big welcome and enjoy!

michelew

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi Diana,

A big 'Hi' from Sydney. With that list of loves you've certainly come to the right place. TG is just the best place I've found and will help you on your guitar journey just as far as you want to go.

I look forward to seeing you post your first video.

Michele

wrench

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:06 pm

Welcome Diana. I can't even begin to list all the ways you fit right in here, but you'll see all that for yourself very quickly. We have a fantastic community, so feel free to ask questions.

coomba

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:41 pm

G'day Diana
Welcome to TG you have come to the right plate, I think you'll find lessons here to cover all your interests
Have fun
Cheers
Scott

bluesy1

Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! Australians sure are friendly! :) I am on the west coast of the US, in southern California.

The site is a bit overwhelming. Any suggestions on where I can start? My playing skills are intermediate. Thanks!

jim56

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:33 pm

Well Diana, a big warm welcome from the Netherlands as well! There are also a few dutchies over here! ;)

I really think you will enjoy the site, I've joined for maybe four months now and I've been loving it ever since! There is só much to learn over here and I do understand the feeling of not knowing where to begin...just take your time, look up the songs and lessons you like.. On the home-page you'll see what's going on the community and just step right in if you feel like it.

We're all here to help each other out, and it's already suggested, feel free to ask questions, anticipate and maybe even upload a video of yourself playing the guitar!

Anyway, have lots of fun, wich I'm sure you will and hope to see/read you around!

Cheers

Vanessa

Yamaha48

Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Hello Diana.
A warm welcome from Holland.
You have make a very good choice.
Neil is a very good,also his explanations of songs.
Hope to see more from you here by the video club.
Dont be shy,and share it with us.

Have a good time here.

Greetz. Anton

bluesy1

Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:56 pm

Thank you for the words of encouragement your kind offers of help. That sounds like a good idea to start with the songs I want to learn. Perhaps I will pick up where I left off from some of the free lessons (like "Blackwater").

Maybe if I can figure out how to record a video I will upload something for Neil's student feedback. Thanks again, and greetings to you all in the Netherlands as well! I was in your wonderful country many, many years ago, in Amsterdam. :)

suziko

Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:15 pm

hi Diana! Welcome from the Midwest to TG!

If you're wondering where to start, I'd suggest clicking on "all lessons" (on the sidebar to the left) and just scanning through the lessons. They are ranked for difficulty level, so you could start with some of the yellow lessons (the intermediate lessons- generally levels 4-6), though sometimes "beginner" lessons turn out trickier than you think! I'm sure you'll find something you'll like as there's a lot to choose from here.

Suzi

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic