New to TG

chickman

Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Hello everyone, I am also a leftie and fairly new to guitars. A friend had me playing basic chords 30 years ago on a right hand flat top. I never could master strumming in the proper direction for the correct sound. I have an old Stella Harmony (1967 right hand model) that I may try to play again; just not sure it will be worth the effort.
Any and all suggestions welcomed.

haoli25

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi Chickman!

Welcome from the Netherlands!

Good to have you aboard and I'm sure you will find everything you need to know how to play the guitar and develop your skills.

Have fun around here and feel free to join the forum and ask questions or anticipate, a great supportive 'helping each other out'-community over there!

all the best,

Vanessa

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Welcome chickman! I am always happy to have another lefty around...... B) B)

I can relate to the strumming problems you used to have. At least when I first picked up a guitar. I had everyone telling me that I needed to learn to play right handed, cause I would be so much better for using my strong hand for fingering..........uh, O.K., why don't all righties play left-handed guitars then?????????.......... :woohoo: :woohoo:

Not sure if you are going to make a go with the right-handed axe, or if you are going to try a left-handed one. For me, it was an easy decision. ALL of my rhythm is in my left hand, so I play a lefty guitar, and it has made the learning process so much easier for me.

If you don't have a lefty guitar, there is always a starter at the local guitar center in a Fender or a Yamaha. Anything priced higher usually has to be special ordered (at least locally for me).

Figure out which way feels more comfortable and then dive into the beginner series stuff. Tons of great info to get you going. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away. There are always plenty of folks around to help out!

Cheers, and good playing.

J

millponddave

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Welcome Chickman,

My is also a lefty. I bought him a left handed fender at Guitar Center for his first guitar and it was money well spent.He now has six guitars, all left handed, with the last one being a modestly priced Martin that we special ordered. However the Fender is a great guitar for the price and he still plays it. My advice is to get a left handed model and then it will feel right to you and you can just concentrate on playing and having fun with it.

Dave

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic