hello my name is michael i am not sure if i can play well my wife says. i cant keep a beat.lol

marchigano

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:24 am

I would like to see if I can play or if I am wasting time as my wife says. She says I am tone deaf I have no rhythm and I can't keep a beat. If I can learn one song any song then I will have showed her that she was wrong and keep going with lessons. I would love to learn the beginning of midnight rider that is how I found this site

willem

Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:48 am

Hi Micheal,,welcome from the Netherlands,,,well you are on the right site to see if you can play,,i think without knowing you,you can play,,how good you can be?,,,well this is a great community that can and will help you,,don't know if there is a lesson YET! on that song you ask..i see you just subscribe to the free side of the site,,you can go over and watch a lot of free lesson's first and see if you can nail them and there is a kind of a quiz you can do...

A lot of us have subscribed to the paid side of the site(TARGET) and that is a great place to be,,very detailed video lessons by a great teacher Neil Hogan,,

This is a very supporting community that will help you in your questions and also help or give support to your playing if you upload a video of that,,you can upload a video here about your playing,,,

I t is not only learning songs but also to become a more or better mucisian,,when Neil teaches us there is alway''s more then only the song,,and that kind of thing(skills or a style) can carry over to an other song or you will be able to figure out a song by your self,also a lot of theory for manege the fretboard all over the place(neck)

So i hope you find your way here,when you strugle,,just ask,,everybody wants to help and a lot of people know's a lot,,,,,goodluck.

ps i'm not a salesman,,just a very happy student..at the age of 57

dennisg

Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:08 pm

I hope your wife decides to be a little more supportive and optimistic when you show her that you can play. You don't have to be particularly musical or even be able to sing in order to play the guitar. It helps, but it's not a requirement. It just takes a desire to learn, a bit of discipline to get past the uncomfortable part, and a whole lot of practice.

lueders

Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:02 pm

Hello Micheal and Welcome.

I feel your pain.I am practically tone deaf myself. (at least vocally.)...I get told that by my wife...who I love dearly, on a regular basis, too. Yet, I find some irresistible thrill in adding my own strange sounds to the cosmos. And I like that no two people play exactly the same way. Something brought you here to Totally Guitars; and it might be just what you're looking for. In the short time I have been here. I can honestly say that this a great place to learn and find supportive folk.

And frankly, Neil is miracle worker. I find so many facets of playing getting better and better all the time.
Hope you decide to join the target program. And lets say to heck with the nay-saying wives. lol

michelew

Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:33 pm

Michael,

A big hello from Sydney. I'm guessing that there is a guitar player and a musician in you. All you need is a little know-how, a bit of self confidence and to give a few things a go until something click and it starts to make sense and fall into place. All the songs in the lesson library are graded so just look at the 1-3 songs and give them a try.

Just remember no one here or anywhere could play the guitar until they picked it up and started to try to play it, got some instruction and then practiced. I'm sure that approach will work for you too.

Good luck, have fun, ask questions and definitely keep us posted on how you're going.

Michele

wammer

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:17 pm

Michael

Practise Practise Practise and when your done you should ummmm Practise

Welcome from Ontario Canada

sbutler

Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:48 pm

Welcome Micheal, from Alaska

When it comes to learning to play the guitar, there has never been a more true statement than,

"you get out of it, what you put into it". The best part is when you learn just a little bit, you'll want to put even more into it.

Never quit having fun and enjoy the journey. Neil is a heck of a guy to practice with, and he'll join you on each of his lessons. So you two get at it and report back to us on how good he's makin you.

Scott

millponddave

Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Hi Michael,

I have to echo what everyone else has said. Practice and a desire to improve will take you a long way. This is a great place to learn.
Have fun.

Welcome from Utah,

Dave

RicksPick

Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:02 am

Hi Michael,

Another welcome from the Netherlands!

Lots have been said already, am glad you've joined TG and I'd say enough over here to learn and to show your wife she's wrong!

Have fun, practice and don't be a stranger around here,

all the best,

Vanessa

neverfoundthetime

Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:35 am

Welcome Michael, your are in a safe place here! My tip is too enter a wager with your wife that you can play (a certain song) by (lets say in 6 months although you won't even need 3) and make sure its a big pay off (nice expensive dinner in a great restaurant of your choice) ... and sit back and rub your hands in anticipation as you have it half sussed by coming to TG!

Good luck from Switzerland.
Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic