Another newbie

floridaclark

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:34 pm

Thanks for everyones welcomes. First, YES, GO GATORS!!! Second, I bought an Ibanez. It was partially used, but looks really great. A few very minor marks on the bottom of the neck where the previous owner had strummed but she kept it in great condition. It came with a tuner (which I do not know how to use), some pics, a shoulder strap, a soft carrying case and one of those guys that you put on the neck to hold the wires down. Side note, I don't know much of the guitar lingo or really what things are called but I hope you get what I am saying. To answer Chas, I know how to hold a guitar...that is the extent of my playing ability. When I say newbie, I am the poster child for newbies. I will work on it though. This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time, but never really had the chance until now. I look forward to getting to it. Thanks again for the welcome and I look forward to more talks and help and everything else down the road.

Steve

skaladar

Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:07 am

Welcome to TG Steve. As others have made abundantly clear, you've come to the right place. Oh how I wish I had a resource like this available to me when I first pickup up a guitar. The lessons are geared for every level so there are no worries there. And the community is great. You have a question? Post it and it's sure to be answered.

Regarding your ambidextrous tendency, here is a fun little factoid that I learned here in I believe one of the Makin Music segments. Gaetano Vinaccia, who is credited with inventing the acoustic guitar in 1779, was left handed. So he naturally made his guitar so the tougher job of working the fret board went to his dominant hand. I had always wondered about that as it seemed I had a lot more muscle development to do on my less favored hand. Naturally I can’t vouch for this but it makes sense to me. This means that left handed guitarists, Paul McCartney, Jimi Hendrix etc. are actually playing the guitar backwards. I don’t know how Neil feels about this but it’s my understanding that some instructors who are teaching absolute beginners lean towards teaching the guitar right handed regardless of the, erm, handedness of their student.

From your reply it sounds like you have all the gear to get you well on your way so it’s time to dive right in and get yourself some calloused fingertips :P . Don’t worry about the lingo. It will all come to you if you observe and ask if you’re not sure. To get you started, it’s a capo that holds down the strings at different frets on the neck. By shortening the string length the pitch is raised which allows you to change the key in which you’re playing.

Good luck on your journey, I know you’re gonna have a blast.

Ken

Hydroman52

Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:14 am

Hi Steve,

A big welcome from the Netherlands!

Great to have you aboard and yep, I'm sure you will love it over here!

Have fun, don't be a stranger and don't let go of the guitar when it gives you a hard time, she can be a bitch, but eventually after some hard work she's the most beautiful thing around...

Cheers

Vanessa

Lavallee

Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:35 am

Hi Steve, welcome to TG from Montreal Canada. As the others have said, you will have all the tools needed in your guitar journey. I would suggest looking at the links Dermot gave you, but also to pick up a song that will help you measure your progression. Neil has put a lesson called Lucky Man, it is a level one. He has put an extensive view at this lesson, you have basic open chords,a good strumming, a great choice to begin with.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... .html#song

(Just copy that link in your browser address bar) . Another way to get there is to use the left menu on this page and select all lessons and then scroll down to Emerson Lake and Palmer

Have fun

Marc

wammer

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:50 pm

Steve

BIG BUGS in Gainsville hahahahahahahah......Been there many a times...My folks have 2 mobile homes in Chiefland....Been to the Oaks many a time and Target is the best lol
Welcome ..youve come to a great place..I am self taught and gained soooo much from being here. Great lessons great community.. Dont be afraid to ask theres always someone out there willing to help.

Tammy
Ontario Canada

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic