rdowner = Ron from Cincinnati

rdowner

Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:50 am

I guess it is etiquette to introduce oneself here...

I live in Cincinnati Ohio, My wife and I are currently "empty nesters" (though that can change - given the economy). I have taken up playing the guitar to celebrate my new found freedom.

I have strummed a few chords (poorly) most of my life and have decided in the last 2 years to really learn to play properly. I have taken lessons the last 9 months or so and have also joined TG. This amounts to doubling up on costs - which may have to end at some point, but for now I see my live instructor as teaching me technique and TG as my resource to learn songs.

Am very interested in fingerstyle guitar as I think that is the most beautiful a guitar can sound, but also really enjoy how uniquely emotive and percussive strumming - especially with some palm muting - can be.

Am not a particularly good singer and so am interested in learning chord solos / chord melodies. I drive my wife crazy by playing whatever my current song is 100's of times until I think it is good enough to share. And then of course she doesn't want to hear it anymore...

Thats enough droning. Thanks for your welcoming and supportive remarks.

Music Junkie

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:50 am

Welcome Ron!

You have found the right place if you have free time now, cause there is plenty of content to keep you busy for a long time.

I am cracking up about your comment on playing the same song a 100 times while you are learning it. I get the same complaint at home.... "Don't you know anything else right now? Can't you change it up a bit?....... :P :P My wife is really supportive, but also a smart alec........ :silly: :silly:

Again, glad you found TG. Jump in and soak up the atmosphere. We really have a wonderful community here and tons of helpful people to share your guitar journey with.

Cheers!

Jason

BobR

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Welcome Ron,

Nice introduction. You will really get a lot from TG as there seems to be endless info(that's a good thing). Hope to see more posts like your version of Hallelujah.

Bob
from MA

willem

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi Ron, welcome from the Netherlands,,you did great On LC'song,,its great to cellebrate your freedom and add your guitar in it and i know the problem from practicing a song 1000 times and there is someone that hears that ''great'' playing, i try to practice when there is no one at home and have the abillity to do tryouts on friends night's when they pickup and sing on my playing i am happy,,i started 7 years a go, also with a private teacher,,now i have one that i can shuffle and playback 1000 times,,i still can't believe that that happend to me,,i wonder how good i would be without Neil Hogan or TG,, finger style's are a great way to play the guitar,also the chord/melody style,,,but just strumming and add some recogniceble riff or intro's is also a pleasant way, have a good yourney..

Willem..

Chasplaya

Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:52 pm

HI Ron welcome to TG Forum. I've been where you are and used 'live' instructor and the Internet. I've now settled on TG alone as hey this site is here whenever I want and it doesn't cost anymore if I use it 24/7. Do Wives/partners have a collaboration thread somewhere? I just wonder as it seems a lot of them have similar sayings lol. Hope to see more from you her in the forums.

Cheers

Chas

BigBear

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Hi Ron- Big welcome to the program from Hillsboro, Oregon, just outside Portland. We really glad to have you with us.

I actually have spent considerable time is Cincy because I was a franchisee of a contruction material company in West Chester, a little north. I became quite fond of the ribs at the Montgomery Inn.

I am almost an empty nester. I have a 21 year old daughter who I can't seem to get rid of. She's a mess! Thinks we owe her food, lodging and transportation. Great kid, just a princess! LOL! If you need a daughter I'll sell her to you- cheap!! I'm tired of adult children!!

Well, you will fit in great here with the rest of us older members. This site is so great with so many wonderful people it is just a joy to log on everyday and see what's new. Plus it keeps me motivated to keep practicing.

Don't worry about being a good singer. Very few people here at TG are really good singers but the rest of us try. Neil is certainly a better player than he is singer but he gives it his best with every lesson. So if he can give it a go, so can the rest of us. He's my hero! Of course, I'd sacrifice a couple of body parts to play like he does!

Again, welcome aboard and don't stay a stranger on the forum!

Happy playin' and cheers!

:cheer:

thereshopeyet

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:54 pm

Hi Ron,

A big welcome from the Netherlands, glad to have you aboard!

Lots have been said already, and I can only fully agree with everybody else, so I wanna wish you lots of fun over here and happy playing!

Cheers

Vanessa

tom18

Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi Ron,
And welcome to TG from NJ. I'm a Cin City expat; I spent a number of years there while a grad student at UC. I don't want to date myself too much but the Reds won the World Series twice while I lived there and Ginger Sutton rocked on WEBN. I really enjoyed living in Clifton. I hope the place still holds its charm. Enjoy the site!
Tom

Hydroman52

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Hi Ron,

Welcome, looks like everyone here has spent time in the Cincinnati area. If Willem chimes in and says he's a Reds fan, then that will be the proof! I spent a few years in St. Marys. I was a Little League bench warmer on the Goodyear team there and remember my parents driving us around surveying the damage of the Lima area tornado. If the grade school is still there, I could probably go to the exact spot on the playground where I was standing when they announced that Kennedy had been shot. The Reds could do no wrong and I remember my parents taking me to see the Reds play the Giants in the big city. Pete Rose and Willy Mays on the same field . . . . it was heaven for a kid like me. Good to have you here.

Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic