An oldy but a goody.

jusjod

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:47 pm

Hi, I'm Jodi and I'm 44. I just started playing 5 weeks ago and my first challenge is Knights in White Satin. I am sucking at it thus far and this is how I found this site from YouTube. Was hoping to blow my teacher away at my next visit with some much needed one on one. I have a dreadnought and my fingertips are killing me. I will not quit as I have wanted to learn to play since I was a child. I have no clue why I decided to start at 44, but here I am.

tombo1230

Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:59 pm

Welcome Jodi, age is but a number and is irrelevant. Just stick in, practice a lot and see yourself become a good guitarist and musician. The acoustic genius section is where you will learn the foundations and more and every song in the Target section will teach you techniques as well as songs. If you get stuck just ask in the forum and you will get plenty of help from the members. Congratulations, your guitar playing journey has started!

Tom N.

lueders

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi Jodi!

For what it's worth, I admire the fact that you're so determined to learn how to play the guitar, don't worry about your fingertips, it will get better soon enough, just kéép playing!

You've really come to the right place, since Neil is thé greatest teacher around, so consider joining Target, you will not be dissapointed and you will have a lot of fun around here! Feel free to ask questions, anticipate or even post a video of your playing, all is good!

Wanna wish you all the best on your guitarjourney!

Vanessa

sbutler

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Jodi, even if you don't share a video with anyone right now, it would be a great idea to film yourself, playing anything you really like. Stick with us here at TG and then watch that video again in 6 months. You'll be dazzled and amazed at your progress.

There are a lot of us here that have the same story as yours. Not starting, or re-starting the guitar until you are older. Your already fitting in.

Welcome from Alaska. Stay involved and practice until those fingers don't hurt.

Scott

michelew

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:46 pm

Jodi,

Hi from sunny Sydney.

I'm 44 as well. I joined TG in Sept 2009 with a pretty low based and also had to go through the sore fingers stage. I had played as a kid, but had very little skill, knowledge or memory of what to do left. Since then I've learned more than I ever could have imagined with the help of Neil's fantastic lessons and the encouragement and support of this amazing community. Target really is worth it. Check out the free stuff, but Target is the candy store.

If you want to learn, this is the place to do it. You just need to apply yourself, share, seek advice when you need to and be patient with yourself.

On the sore fingers issue. Don't over do it. If they are getting too sore stop and come back later when they're recovered. When I started I really overdid it and ended up with blisters. Ouch! Be sweet to yourself. If you do overdo it there is a real chance that you're loose heart and give up.

The best way to improve is to immerse yourself, so jump into the forum, post a video early and just participate in general. I get a lot of motivation from watching what others are doing and posting stuff and I know others do too.

Enjoy the journey. Don't be a stranger.

Michele

wammer

Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:26 pm

Hey Jodi

I too wanted to play all my life but waited till I was 46ish to start.......Better late then never....If your fingers aren't hurting when you first start then your not playing enuff LOL. Like Shel said just don't over do it....... have your guitar handy.....walk by, play abit..and so on....the callous will build soon enough......there is not a question asked that can't be answered by someone here sooooooooo don't be shy....

You never mentioned where your from...? Nice to meet you.

Tammy
Ontario, Canada

willem

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:44 am

michelew wrote:
Jodi,

Hi from sunny Sydney.

I'm 44 as well. I joined TG in Sept 2009 with a pretty low based and also had to go through the sore fingers stage. I had played as a kid, but had very little skill, knowledge or memory of what to do left. Since then I've learned more than I ever could have imagined with the help of Neil's fantastic lessons and the encouragement and support of this amazing community. Target really is worth it. Check out the free stuff, but Target is the candy store.

If you want to learn, this is the place to do it. You just need to apply yourself, share, seek advice when you need to and be patient with yourself.

On the sore fingers issue. Don't over do it. If they are getting too sore stop and come back later when they're recovered. When I started I really overdid it and ended up with blisters. Ouch! Be sweet to yourself. If you do overdo it there is a real chance that you're loose heart and give up.

The best way to improve is to immerse yourself, so jump into the forum, post a video early and just participate in general. I get a lot of motivation from watching what others are doing and posting stuff and I know others do too.

Enjoy the journey. Don't be a stranger.

Michele
ALLRIGHT MicHele,,thanks for writing it down for me,,well Jodi it is all true,,stick with us and look a bit around the forum's and maby join TARGET as wel...goodluck on THE !!! yourney..

skaladar

Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:47 am

Hi Jodi ... *waves form NYC*

Welcome to TG ... you've come to the right place! I have to agree about the whole age thing and you fitting in. I am picking up the guitar after ~25 years of not, or hardly playing. I also agree about recording yourself in some way, even with a webcam, not so much to share (although that would be great) but to mark your progress. It's also a good tool for seeing yourself from a different perspective. I regularly capture a video as soon as I can get thru a song and then at different times as I progress. It helps me narrow down where I need to focus attention. As others have mentioned, If you have any questions just post it to the forums. You'll definitely get help.

Time to go work on those callouses. Enjoy the journey :-)

Ken

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:12 am

Hi from Switzerland Jodi. Nights in White Satin is a great place to start at whatever age! Have fun with that and rest assured... no one here is older than Chasplaya! :evil:

beaker

Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Hey Jodi, 44 hey? yeah, you have lot's of good musical years ahead of you. Good luck with all of your playing and in particular Night in White Satin. Just stick with it, it will happen for you. As it has for many on this site. Have fun. Beaker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic