What was I thinking?

yngretiree

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:10 am

My wife and I were getting ready to head south for the winter. Yes, I'm retired. Sixty-nine in fact I was looking for a new hobby to take up some of my time (you can't play golf all the time ;) So, I went to Craigslist, found a strat, and here I am learning to play the guitar. I have had a lot of hobbies, mostly sports, and this endeavor is clearly more difficult than I imagined. Humbling. But it has only been a couple of months. And I will do it. So far I am just working beginner lessons from the internet. I ad thought I would be able to take some lessons here in Yuma, AZ but I have only been able to find one teacher and he only wants to teach acoustic and bluegrass. Not my cup of tea. I have been into Rock since the 50's but am finding it much easier to get started strumming chords to simple C&W songs. I'm working on basics, not concentrating on any of the usual traps; Stairway to Heaven, Hotel California, and the like. But that is my eventual goal. I just love Jimmy Page songs. Wish me luck!

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:16 am

Welcome to totally Guitars, age is irrelevant here, its all about a desire to play the guitar, most tastes of music are covered here although the primary method of instruction is via the Acoustic, the skills are transferable. There is heaps of free stuff but the icing is the TARGET programme, so once you've checked out the place its highly recommended and you will not get better value anywhere else, and no I'm not on staff here.

Any problems sing out and you'll get a raft of help from the community here.

Chas from NZ 'We Rock'

tombo1230

Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:22 am

Welcome yngretiree, Chas has said it all, so all I will say is, stick in and work hard and oh yes.........Enjoy! It will come together soon. You get out of this what you put in.

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:50 pm

Welcome! All you need now is to join the TARGET programme (who needs a live teacher when you have this resource!!) and get a sticker for your guitar:
"Retired and spending my kids inheritance!" ;-).
Chris in Switzerland.

willem

Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Hi,,welcome from the Netherlands,, i can a sure you that guitar/playing is the greatest sport there is and our coach is very concerned to get us to a very high level,,i hope you signe up for the high end line here,,TARGET that is,,,other then guitar/learning/playing i do some badminton,,that's for sweating...

sws626

Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:20 am

Welcome from London, Yngretiree. You're in good company here. As Chas mentioned, most of the instruction on this site is oriented around acoustic, but most all of that is easily transferrable and there are a lot of closet electric guitar players here as well.
-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic