fiddlechick in Texas

fiddlechick

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:04 pm

Howdy y'all,
I play the fiddle and piano, but wanted an instrument that was a little more transportable, and campfire friendly.
So I bought a little Martin guitar last summer, and have been happily learning chords since.
I'm playing some simple songs, singing along, and try to learn a new chord and a new song every week.
It is SO much fun, I LOVE my little guitar - it has the sweetest sound and the most luscious smell,
and can't wait till I can learn some arpeggios and strumming patterns.
Still have trouble getting my fingers around bar chords, and those blasted B's, but my muscle memory is
kicking in, and chord changes are getting smoother all the time. I never realized how complex an instrument the guitar is, and am TOTALLY absorbed with it. I play my fiddle every day too - I play in a band called Branded by Grace. We have two brilliant guitar players in our band, and they help me learn a lick or two every week at practice, but I can't seem to get enough:)
Yep, I'm hooked. LIne and sinker.

tovo

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:07 pm

G'day fiddlechick from Australia. Like Texas but big. ;)

What...you don't take your piano out camping?

Nice to have you here, sounds like you have a ton of experience to share and that's what it's all about, that and having some fun.

Enjoy and welcome!

fiddlechick

Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:10 pm

THanks big green man,
for the G'day,
and the welcome:)
Glad to be here.

michelew

Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:11 pm

Fiddlechick,

A big hi from Sydney.

With your experience you're just going to love it here. Check out all the free stuff, but Target will open up a world of song, technique and theory lessons that will speed you on your way to becoming the guitarist you want to be.

A good way to get started and keep up your motivation is to participate in the forum, watch the videos people put up and put up some of your own. If you've got questions about anything, ask them in the forum. It's great for your own learning and it's good for the whole community. We're ridiculously friendly lot and if you stick around you're bound to make some good friends too.

Well it will be great to have another experienced woman musician around here to kick the guys butts too, Vanessa has already got them running scared. Another experienced muso... Now that's going to be a hoot.

So jump in and have fun.

Michele

michelew

Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:14 pm

Hey Fiddlechick!

Welcome from the Netherlands!

So great to have another female around here playing the guitar and even more instruments! :) No offence guys, I love you all as you must know! :P

So yes, it would also be great to hear and read about your experiences, so please feel free to share it with us if you feel like it, since it is quite clear that music is such a passion for you!

Anyway, wanna wish you a lot of fun playing and learning the guitar!

Cheers

Vanessa

fiddlechick

Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:23 pm

Wow, the Netherlands? As in overseas the Netherlands, or just out in the boonies Netherlands, as we say here in these parts:)
Nice to meet ya Vanessa! Yes, music is definately the thing I'd rather be doing - I can't seem to get enough of making it these days - but there's still work, and laundry, and food to prepare, errands to run, animals to care for, and well, I do rest from time to time too:)
But several times a day I sit with my guitar and run through a song or two, maybe three or four.

My old fiddle sat in the closet for many years - like about thirty - while I got on with career, then college, and my art work. Made a HUGE resurgence in my life when I decided to join this band and boy did I ever take off from there. I'm learning to transform my "violin" into a fiddle, though the violin training has come in handy with our country/bluegrass sound. I love the sweet long notes of a violin in the background of just about any song.

But the guitar. It's diversity is amazing me. I'm in love with the astounding brilliance of Chet Atkins guitar, and Mark Knopfler (I got to see him perform in Italy a few years ago), and SO love the romance of the spanish guitar sounds. My husband recently rebuilt an old Gibson for me. I'm not attached to her yet, like I am my little Martin, but she has potential. Especially after I learn some pickin'. I've got the grinnin' part down:) XO Rachel "fiddlechick"

fiddlechick

Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Thanks so much Michele! Nice to meet you!
I'm happy to have found this site - though I spend far too much time on the computer as it is. There are so many resources available today that it is overwhelming sometimes. But how very fortunate we are to be able to share what we know with folks that are SO far away! I'm amazed. Constantly.
XO Rachel "fiddlechick"

tovo

Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Hey Rachel (you do have a normal name, haha :P !)! And yep, the Netherlands as in overseas, Europe that is! ;)

Great to hear a little bit more about you! Have to admit that I envy you playing the violin, I do play more than one instrument, but not the violin unfortunately. I do totally agree with you about the 'long notes' of the violin in the background, I absolutely lóve that sound in no matter what song!

Well I'm glad you also rest, because your life sounds fúll and pretty divers, haha! :lol:

So you're in a band, as in performing with this band? Só good of you to join one! And the piano, also in the closet for that long? What do you play on the piano? Classical stuff or popmusic or.....?

However, I know there's a lot to find on the net, I have been watching lots of sites as well before joining this one eventually, but really over here is thé place to be to learn how to play the guitar really well. Neil is just thé most fantastic teacher that I have come across with, so if you can, consider to join Target, since that's where the real thing is! And really, I'm not working here, I'm just a student.

However, great to hear more about you and again have fun, as I'm sure you will!

Cheers

Vanessa

fiddlechick wrote:
Wow, the Netherlands? As in overseas the Netherlands, or just out in the boonies Netherlands, as we say here in these parts:)
Nice to meet ya Vanessa! Yes, music is definately the thing I'd rather be doing - I can't seem to get enough of making it these days - but there's still work, and laundry, and food to prepare, errands to run, animals to care for, and well, I do rest from time to time too:)
But several times a day I sit with my guitar and run through a song or two, maybe three or four.

My old fiddle sat in the closet for many years - like about thirty - while I got on with career, then college, and my art work. Made a HUGE resurgence in my life when I decided to join this band and boy did I ever take off from there. I'm learning to transform my "violin" into a fiddle, though the violin training has come in handy with our country/bluegrass sound. I love the sweet long notes of a violin in the background of just about any song.

But the guitar. It's diversity is amazing me. I'm in love with the astounding brilliance of Chet Atkins guitar, and Mark Knopfler (I got to see him perform in Italy a few years ago), and SO love the romance of the spanish guitar sounds. My husband recently rebuilt an old Gibson for me. I'm not attached to her yet, like I am my little Martin, but she has potential. Especially after I learn some pickin'. I've got the grinnin' part down:) XO Rachel "fiddlechick"

AndyT

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:34 pm

Howdy Rachel. I'm an old Texas boy now living in Hawaii. Lived up in Yankeeland for a spell too. LOL
Welcome to TG. You will find the best people here. They really care about your progress and will offer whatever they can in the way of advice and often prayers as well. I think you'll feel like this is your back porch after a bit.

Chasplaya

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:08 pm

Hi Rachel
Image from Chas in New Zealand (and no were not part of Australia lol)

With your background it sounds like you will fit just fine with the mad crowd round here. To get the most from this site you need to check out TARGET, but to whet your appetite the free stuff will keep you going but it will make you want more. You'll find you spend less and less time on other guitar sites and spend it here.

Don't be a stranger to these here forums now!

regards

Chas

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic