Could someone help me with "Pancho and Lefty"?

TGMatt

Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:28 pm

Hello

Could somebody with an ear for notes listen to the first measure of this song--the part where Neal opens with Am and then goes to C and begins to sing.................

My question is this: What is the picking pattern he is using on the Am chord? I know he says just to make up notes, but I simply can't do that and make it sound anywhere close to reasonable. I don't know how to link the song, but it is in the "All Lessons" section toward the end of the video.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I can actually sing this song quite well and have done it at Karaoke--dare I say that word?--for years. I'd love to take the next step and accompany myself.

TwoCatSam
(A two-cat man!)

jayswett

Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:49 pm

I would love to help you. Your best bet is to post a short video of yourself playing the intro and verse. Neil may comment himself, but at the very least you will get several fellow students giving helpful comments.

lueders

Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:53 pm

Glad, you jumped in there Jay. I was just about to type to twocat that: ... "the Man you need to talk to is jayswett"

michelew

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:02 pm

Hi TwoCatSam!

Well I did listen to it just now, and I think I can hear what he's playing......but how would you like me to tell you or show you? Any suggestions? :)

Cheers

Vanessa

lueders

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:31 pm

TwoCatSam

I'm back I found something that might be of service to you...I am enclosing an attachment of: the (song tabbed out) a suggested picking pattern supposedly favored by Townes.) I haven't really looked at Neil's Lesson on this. I'm guessing they are probably pretty darn close. Have a look, and see if the picking patterns suggested here, might help out ...

Cori

EDIT: Apparently I can't do that...breach of etiquette, I suppose. Sorry.

reiver

Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Sam

I would recommend that you look at the lesson for Landslide by Fleetwood Mac where Neil gives a good close up description of a right hand pattern for Travis picking. This should help you find a suitable picking pattern for Pancho and Lefty.

Stuart

lueders

Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:33 pm

Thanks to all who answered.

If I made a video, all you would see is that I can find Am and thumb the fifth and fourth strings. What he does with his fingers is lost to me. I guess I'm looking for something similar to what he does in "Dust in the Wind Part 5; What the right hand does."

Sam

michelew

Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:32 am

Hi Sam,

You suggested to give it to you in strings, so I will in here:

ADGABDE, so the very first A lasts for a whole beat, all the other strings are half a beat.

Goodluck,

Vanessa

skaladar

Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:45 am

Vanessa

Thank you for your help. That is a starting point and perhaps I can make the video as suggested.

Sam

snipe

Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:01 am

@ Stuart

Thanks for your suggestion. I did pull up "Landslide" and watch the right hand section.

I have barely built callouses; that is my experience on the guitar.

TwoCat

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic