Old new guy

littlestevie

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi, I'm Steve from northern Indiana. I found Neil Hogan on You Tube giving a lesson for a James Taylor arrangement of "Oh Sussana" and checked out the TG site. I retired about a year ago and dusted off my old college Alvarez and started strumming around. I have been practicing more now and once a month go to a local folk jam and play with real people instead of just in front of my dog. I'm mostly a strummer but want to learn fingerpicking songs too. It looks like this site can provide common sense instruction as well as some support. Thanks.

coomba

Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:42 pm

Welcome aboard littlestevie
Congratulations on your retirement , it should allow you plenty of time to practice and improve.
Have fun here there is plenty of lessons and everyone here is very supportive so get involved.
Cheers Scott (Australia)

sws626

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:10 pm

Welcome, Steve. Glad you found us. There's more than enough here to keep you and your dog occupied for many years to come.

-Stuart

skaladar

Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:33 pm

Hiya Steve and welcome to TG ... *waves from NYC*

I think you'll find that you're not at all alone in picking up the guitar again after life has, in one way or another, sidetracked you from playing. I barely played for over 25 years while pursuing a career and altho I've not yet retired I have found the time to once again enjoy playing and learning more than I ever thought I possible. You are definitely in the right place if you're interested in learning some finger picking as well as flat picking and strumming like you've never strummed before. Neil is an excellent teacher on all levels and styles. If it weren't for Neil, TG and the best community of helpful, supportive and fun people you'll ever come across I probably would have just fumbled around playing for a while and then let my interests wander. I like you found this site through youtube and since I've become involved I so look forward to grabbing my guitar every day because there is so much I want to do and learn. But wait, this is your introduction :-) ... Check out the lessons, get involved and by all means ask questions. You'll be surprised how much help and/or advice you'll get. In short order the folks at the local folk jam and your dog will be wondering where you've been hiding all this talent.

♫ Ken ♫

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:38 pm

Welcome from the Netherlands Steve!

Great to have you aboard and I wanna wish you a lot of fun and happy guitarplaying over here, as I'm sure you will!

All the best,

Vanessa

cosmicmechanic

Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi Steve, welcome from Montreal, Canada. It's great that you still have that guitar from long ago ... or is it ? Did it age gracefully ?

You will like it here, rest assured.

Pierre

neverfoundthetime

Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:25 am

Hi To Indiana from Switzerland Steve. Hope you find a good home here for yourself and your rediscovered guitar.
Chris

willem

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:30 am

Ummmmmm

Exactly how old? What kind of dog?

Hey!

I'm new here, too, and--like you--I cased my guitar for years and forgot about it. When I started practicing again I found out it had dried out and I had to humidify it for six weeks. Did you keep yours humidified while it was on leave?

I'm retired and have two dogs who fire up their talking toys when I try to practice. Hard to think when Barney is singing!

Samster

millponddave

Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Welcome from another old (well kinda) guy from Utah. I'm sure that you will enjoy all that TG has to offer.

Dave

tovo

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:36 am

Hi Steve from Adelaide Australia. Glad to have you here and hope you enjoy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic