New Meat. Wait...isn't this the San Quentin Forum?

bashea

Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi, I'm Barry, and I'm a musicaholic. Which is much better than an assaholic.

I actually started as a drummer, in my teens. But, nooooo, don't play those drums in the house! So, I traded an 8-track tape player for a Yamaha G-60 classical acoustic (the best trade I've ever made in my life), and it's been a downward spiral ever since: Alvarez 5019 steel acoustic, Schecter C-1 Plus solid body electric, and Ibanez SRX-300 electric bass (and hopefully in the future, a Gibson SG and J-200 acoustic).

I am a teeth-grinding, collapsed-vein, track-scarred music addict. James Taylor to Jane's Addiction (I'll punch Justin Bieber in the face).

Music is all I think about in my down time...and when daydreaming at work. It has gotten me through the worst times of my life, and continues to, thanks to those wonderful Wall Street banker c**ks****rs. But, because I lost my job, and have gone from making $900 a week to $9 an hour, the TARGET program is a little pricey for me right now. But, one day...

So, please be gentle.

~Barry~

PS: I recently discovered a beautiful song by Colin Hay of Men at Work called "Waiting For My Life to Begin" - which pretty much sums up my feelings right now - and if anyone can point me to a decent tab for it - I found the chords, but need more detailed picking details - I'd really appreciate it.

Rock on, mofos.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:56 am

Hi Barry, I've always had jobs because I really needed employment ... from very early on my obligations were such that I had to take whatever !xx@@{~~)! jobs were available.

Over the course of time I have had gut feelings that things were about to improve, and each time these were accompanied by songs that came into my mind recurrently and boosted my spirits.

So I find it's !@xx!@ marvelous that you know your truth and the music haunts you. I'll give you a couple of examples of why that counts for me, ok ?

The first inspiration that comes to mind for me (like 30 years ago !) was Dylan's "I Shall be Released", that haunted me, almost levitated me, from doubt into certainty that the job opportunity I desired was of course around the corner.

Four years later, even that newer job wore very thin, and I was hoping for more. Duran Duran's "Hungry Like the Wolf" popped up unexpectedly from the current tunes at the time and had the same effect. I was like a guided missile with a clear destination.

Of course, I was willing to put in the effort, whether work or study, to accomplish my goals.

These are just two examples (it never ends) that I hope suggest that you trust your ambition and clear optimistic vision of what lies ahead and also listen for the music that will guide you and give you courage !

Be cool,
Pierre

P.S. You are damn right, Colin Hay's "WAITING FOR MY REAL LIFE TO BEGIN" is good karma !

willem

Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:08 am

We all daydream playing guitar,,welcome from the Netherlands,,here (this site) daydreams come through...

drfuji

Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Hi Barry, nice to meet another musicaholic! ;)

And another welcome from the Netherlands!

Just wanna wish you a lot of fun on your guitarplaying-journey, you'll love it here!

Cheers

Vanessa

Music Junkie

Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:21 pm

Hey Barry! Welcome to a musicaholic from a Music Junkie...... B)

Glad you found us here. Just listened to the song you mentioned. Nice. I take a peek and see what is floating around out there.

MJ

Chasplaya

Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:01 am

Hi my name is Chas and I'm a musicaholic!

Welcome Barry looks like you'll fit in just fine here.

Chas

AndyT

Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:06 am

I'd say hello, but its too hard to type and play guitar at the same time. LOL WELCOME!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic