Absolute beginner

chaslan45

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:05 am

Hello, I'm finally getting around to an introduction after joining back in mid January 2011. Sorry for waiting so long. Please bear with me, posting on a forum isn't easy for me. I live in South central Pennsylvania. I bought a used Martin DX-1, in very good condition, from a Guitar Center store, just prior to joining Totally Guitars. I like the free beginner's lessons here, but I'm still learning the chromatic scale and chords, practicing about 5 times a week. I think that's slow progress, but the good part is I am learning. For now, just thank you Neil for Totally Guitars.

tovo

Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:14 am

Hi mate. We are all still learning, even the very best players here so you are in good company. Keep practicing, keep enjoying the site and your Martin.

AndyT

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:14 am

There is no such thing a a guitar player who is not also a student at one level or another. You're in good company.

BigBear

Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:31 am

Welcome to Totally Guitars! While you are learning chromatic scales and all the other "stuff" you need to learn the guitar don't forget to have fun!!! Learn some chords, learn some songs you like and just relish the joy of playing the guitar!

If you need any help there are hundreds of people here who are happy help to any way we can. Just let us know what your challenges are, like the dreaded F chord, sore fingers, barre chords etc. We've all dealt with them and every guitarist must get past them.

Good luck and Happy Playin'!! :cheer:

RicksPick

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:12 am

Welcome from the UK
Hope to see more from you on the forims
Keep at it

RicksPick

Chasplaya

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:53 am

Hi Chaslan,

Welcome from the Netherlands!

Just wanna wish you lots of fun over here and goodluck on your guitarjourney, you've définitely come to the right place for that!

And oh yes, you will need to practice and learn like forever, we áll do, haha! ;)

All the best,

Vanessa

skaladar

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:17 am

Hi Chas *waves from NYC* and welcome to TG ... the place to be!

I have to echo the words of BigBear. Practice is great and certainly necessary but don’t forget to play and have fun ... a distinction made quite clear in the recent thread “How do you practice?” To that end, the free lessons are a good resource but if you really want to take advantage of what TG has to offer you might consider looking into the Target program. Neil has an uncanny way of making songs you’ve always wanted to be able to play a real learning experience far beyond just learning the mechanics of any given tune. Either way, enjoy the journey. I know you will :-)

♫ Ken ♫

millponddave

Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:58 am

Hi from Utah. I hope you enjoy this site. There is lots to learn here. Try some of the campfire songs. They are lots of fun to play and most are easy.

Dave

chaslan45

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:56 pm

Whoa, what a response! Thank you everyone.
In addition, I am just starting the chord section in the beginner's lessons. Neil gets into the G chord early in those lessons. When I saw what you have to do to make a G chord I was scared at first. You see, the joint at the tip of my little finger is bent toward my palm at 45 degrees (motorcycle accident years ago) and doesn't bend. Thankfully, after moving my hand around a little, I am able to get a G chord. I don't know what other problems I will have with my liitle finger yet. I sure don't want to have go left-handed just yet.
Also, I am looking forward to joining the Target program sometime in the near future.
Again, thank you all.

Chasplaya

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:44 pm

G'Day Chas , From Chas in New Zealand although I'm a Scot... confused?

Its all been said about coming to the right place you won't regret it. I too have challenges with my little finger (pinky) on my right hand, it was broken years ago and not re-set properly so not a lot of strength in it. As such I can't always finger the chords in Neil's preferred manner for example G I mostly use my ring finger to hold down the high E string, its not the best for some changes but it works. Trial and error really. So someone said it, if you strike difficulties with anything just sing out on the Forum someone will have experienced something similar that's for sure.

Have a good time and enjoy your guitar

Chas

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic