New Guy ;D

bouncy

Mon May 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Hey everyone on this site. Are there any songs that I should start with? I'm trying to avoid the F bars but I gotta learn sometime, eh? :L

dennisg

Mon May 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Welcome from Seattle.

We don't have a clue what kind of music you'd like to play, so I'd suggest clicking on the Free Lessons link to the left, then finding a song that turns you on. Keep in mind that the lessons are rated for difficulty, 1 - 10, with 10 being the most difficult. I'd also recommend that you pop for a Target subscription where you'll get an order of magnitude more songs to choose from, more-detailed song lessons, and complete guitar instruction that'll have you playing the barred F chord in no time at all. A Target subscription costs about half of what a 30-minute live lesson costs, and you can replay Target lessons over and over again, rewind, fast forward, and all the things you can't do in a live lesson. I'm just sayin'.

dennisg

Mon May 16, 2011 12:58 pm

One more thing I forgot to mention: when you're a Target member you get to upload videos of yourself to a special YouTube channel, and have those videos reviewed by our resident guitar guru, Neil Hogan. You'll also get very supportive comments from other Target members. If you're not a member, not only can you NOT upload videos, you can't even see the videos that other people upload.

tombo1230

Mon May 16, 2011 2:07 pm

bouncy wrote:
. Are there any songs that I should start with? I'm trying to avoid the F bars :L
Hi, I'm assuming you are a beginner, so I would say maybe one of the easiest songs would be' Blowin' In The Wind'- by Bob Dylan in the free section. 4 chords no bars, straightforward. I would recommend you join the Target programme and get a good grounding first on how to strum, by going to the acoustic genius series which will take you from beginner and show you what you need to know properly, i.e how to strum, how to change between chords etc. Actually just remembered there is a free beginners Genius that must be worth a look first. If you are more advanced take your pick, as has already been mentioned songs are graded 1 to 10, 10 being hardest. Good luck and hope you enjoy it here. :)

Tom N.

tovo

Mon May 16, 2011 2:40 pm

Good advice for you already there. I would say that of course you want to play some tunes as soon as possible, but avoiding the F barre or any others will hold you back, so don't avoid it for too long. Its difficult to learn but it opens up a whole new range, and you will soon get bored with Blowin in the Wind. It's a great tune and all but don't hold yourself back by avoiding techniques because they are difficult. It will come with practice. Good luck!

skaladar

Mon May 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Hiya bouncy *waves from NYC* and welcome to TG!

Yup, good info already posted about the benefits of the Target program and ideas about where to get started. Just know that whatever you choose you’ve already made the wisest choice you could have as a “learning” guitarist of any level, by joining us here at totally guitars.

That being said, allow me to suggest you take a look at “Lucky Man” by ELP. I suppose I am a little biased in my recommendation because I am a huge Greg Lake fan and it was one of the first songs I learned to play a bazillion years ago. It is a complete free less with simple open chords and Neil’s lesson for it will give you a good idea how the majority of the complete lessons are broken down. The lesson has nine parts including a play through, preview, theory, left and right hand views, a breakdown, slow it down, up to speed and conclusion sections.

In no time you will be makin music like you never thought possible. Enjoy the journey, I know you will.

♫ Ken ♫

tombo1230

Mon May 16, 2011 5:28 pm

tovo wrote:
I would say that of course you want to play some tunes as soon as possible, but avoiding the F barre or any others will hold you back, so don't avoid it for too long. !
Actually, very good advice, the F chord is just an e with a bar in front of it........... I learned this chord along with the 1st position chords from day one and it opens you up to other songs faster.

Tom N.

millponddave

Mon May 16, 2011 10:38 pm

Welcome New Guy,

You are sure to learn a lot here and don't be afraid of those barre chords, They will open up the whole neck for you to explore so dive right in, the water's fine!

Dave

BigBear

Mon May 16, 2011 10:39 pm

Bouncy- Big welcome to TG from Portland, Oregon. Man, if you are a beginner you absolutely came to the right place. Totally Guitars and especially the TARGET program are the greatest small investment in guitar education I've ever made.

Several others have covered all the high points but I'll add you should utilize all the free stuff Neil and Matt provide here. If you are just starting out pay particular attention to Neil's emphasis on proper technique; especially hand position. I spent 40 years learning bad technique and it's much easier to learn it correctly than to break bad habits.

If your budget allows and you like the songs, join the TARGET program at your earliest opportunity. I've watched some relative beginners progress at an astounding rate and all of them have been TARGET members since the beginning.

Make practice a mandatory part of your day. I try to get an honest hour every day but if you're swamped even 10 minutes is better than nothing. The Unofficial TG motto is "Practice, Practice, Practice".

Finally, have fun playing this wonderful instrument!! More people quit the guitar because they just aren't having fun than any other reason. There is a reason those of us in our 50's and 60's are still addicted! Because it's the most fun we can have at our age! LOL!

Best of luck to you and Happy Playin' :cheer:

tombo1230

Tue May 17, 2011 6:31 am

BigBear wrote:
There is a reason those of us in our 50's and 60's are still addicted! Because it's the most fun we can have at our age! LOL!

:cheer:
Hey Big Bear, talk for yourself man, LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic