The guitar's all right, but you won't earn a living by it.

max7

Sat May 21, 2011 3:41 pm

-- A quote from John Lennon's Aunt Mimi.

I'm Max. A teacher, improvisational actor and acting teacher, software developer, and Beatlemaniac.

What an amazing site. So alive. I feel like I hit the jackpot. 90 percent of the songs here I love. The people here seem supportive.

I am so appreciative that Neil knows so many variations of songs from live performances, bootlegs, and alternative versions, and that he incorperates them into his lessons. It has made me want to listen to music more, go to concerts, and become a better listener.

I've had years of guitar lessons as a teenager from the worst guitar teachers. I could see they hated their jobs, and were just going through the motions. I gave up the guitar for 20 years.

With online lessons, I am so happy I can learn at my own rate, not having to rush to perform a lesson at the end of a week. I'm so happy that I don't have to look at a teacher pretending not to cringe when I play a bad chord. I'm so happy that I don't have to worry about missing something my teacher said, I can just replay the video.

OK. maybe a really great live teacher is probably the ideal situation. But I'm not sure if I would ever be able to find the right one, or I could afford them.

Nice to meet you all. Max

RicksPick

Sat May 21, 2011 3:51 pm

Hello Max
Neil sure gets you hooked, best teacher by far.
Welcome and have fun

RicksPick

Yamaha48

Sat May 21, 2011 3:57 pm

Hello Max.

A warm welcome on this site.
You can learn here a lot of songs,and Neil is realy good.
I love in his lessons,what can going wrong.
Max i hope you have a great time here.
Totally guitars is one big famelie.

Cheers...............Anton

michelew

Sat May 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Max,

Hi from Sydney.

You're absolutely right. Neil is a great teacher and this site and community are fantastic. There is do much to learn and Neil has a love for music, playing and teaching that is contagious. He has a knack for breaking things down and making the seemingly impossible possible.

I look forward to seeing you play something.

I will never earn my living from the guitar, but it has become and important part of my life and this community keeps me motivated to become a better player. Jump into the forum, watch videos, load your own, ask questions, show us what it is about music and the guitar that you love, participate. I've noticed that the more people join in, (and practice, practice, practice), the faster they progress.

Have fun.

Michele

haoli25

Sat May 21, 2011 5:19 pm

Hello Max and welcome to TG. I think you will like it here. Neil is an amazing teacher, top-notch support staff, and a lot of very helpful members from all over the world. Just dive in and pick a few lessons to start with. When you have a chance, check out some of the community groups, and "Recommend A Lesson" (tab on the left) on this site. If you need any help, just ask.

Bill Image

neverfoundthetime

Sat May 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Welcome from Switzerland Max.... hope you have a ball here!

sbutler

Sat May 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Howdy from Alaska Max.

Your impressions of OUR guitar teacher, seem to be the same as everyone else's. It doesn't seem to matter to him what your skill level is, or if you've never had skill.

He has lessons for people that have never touched a guitar, and he teaches those lessons with the same passion as his most advanced lessons. All these other folks here at TG make the whole experience fun, so jump in and have some.

Glad your here.

Scott

skaladar

Sat May 21, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi Max … * waves from NYC*

Very nice introduction but dang-it … I was counting on guitar playing as a 2nd career! :-)

Seriously though, you’ve seemed to capture the essence of what makes TG such a great place already so there’s no need to go there. It’s great that you found this site and rest assured you are not alone among the ranks of folks who are returning to the guitar and really appreciating the benefits of 21st century technology. I look forward to hearing more from you both in the forums and hopefully with some uploaded videos. So welcome aboard and now …. time to get back to working on those callouses.

♫ Ken ♫

BobR

Sat May 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Hi Max,

I am sure you'll enjoy your time here.

Welcome from Massachusetts.

Bob

tovo

Sat May 21, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi Max from Australia (Adelaide). Good intro and I agree with your assessment of the strengths of online teaching. I am convinced that in many ways, online teaching is superior to face to face. (provided the online teacher knows their stuff and this one sure does).

Welcome aboard and enjoy.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic