I've been around a while, but I never introduced myself.

rdaltry

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:15 pm

I'm Sam, a.k.a TwoCatSam

Briefly, I'm approaching 65, retired, living in Bethany, Oklahoma, USA with my wife Marcia and two dogs. (The cats are long dead, but I like the name.)

I began the guitar in '06 just in time to quit for my shoulder surgery. Arthritis...

I packed my Guild D-30 away in the case until August of '10 and it dried out terribly. Did not think about humidity since Oklahoma is so humid anyway...

Well, I used humidipaks and I think I have it back, but it may never sound the same. It wears Elixir light nanoweb strings.

My goals are simple: To play a few songs like Margaritaville, Play Me, If You Could Read My Mind, Pancho and Lefty and a few others. I fully realize I'm too old to ever get very good, but I can have fun and that's all I'm after.

While I have been in the non-paying status I have been treated quite well. I agree with Mike when he said to limit the teaching to paying members only. So I coughed it up and here I be.

So I look forward to at least 14 months of fellowship and maybe more.

Samster

neverfoundthetime

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:28 pm

Hi Sam... good to have you here.... Play Me (Neil Diamond?) and If I Could Read Your Mind are two I really enjoy playing too.
Chris

willem

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:43 pm

Hi Sam,,i think i know you,,you are the guy with steely nails,,right???lol,,,i hope to hear all of your favorite songs with or without the nails,,

welcome from the Netherlands,,were the weather alway's serves us

Willem

thereshopeyet

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:49 pm

Thanks

michelew

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:11 pm

Sam,

Hi from Sydney. Great to hear you've joined target. It's a great program. And a person really does need to be retired to take advantage of everything that's on offer, so you're in a great position.

I'm sure you'll achieve your goal in no time. It's all applying yourself and posting videos so you can take advantage of Neil's fantastic teaching and the collective experience of the community. I really look forward to seeing you play.

Have fun. Keep posting in the forum too.

See you around.

Michele

Music Junkie

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:21 pm

Yes, I'm the guy with the steely nails.

Chris

I will be seeking your help on both those songs!

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Michele..

Retirement is wonderful. I just wonder how I ever worked. Plants, yard and home repairs seems a full-time job!

Sam

millponddave

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Welcome from Utah. This is the best place to learn. Have fun.

Dave

MarkM

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:39 pm

Great to have you around Sam. Welcome from NH soon to be Atlanta GA. Looking forward to seeing more from you. Thanks for the clip on the metal fingernails..............

MarkM

dennisg

Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Hi Sam,

Greetings from sunny Seattle -- and I've been waiting months to be able to say that. Welcome to TG and have a great time.

One thing you might want to consider, and this is based on the posts I read over in the Taylor forum: guys who have shoulder problems/arthritis would do well to use a small-bodied guitar to ease the strain on your shoulder socket. If you're interested in exploring that idea, Martin's 000 series or Taylor's Grand Concert series would really be a blessing. They won't produce the volume of your dreadnought, but they'll baby your shoulder.

One more thing: too much humidity is every bit as potentially destructive as too little. I've ridden my bike across Oklahoma twice, and there's an insane amount of humidity in the summer. You can buy an inexpensive hygrometer on Amazon that'll help you keep the in-case humidity level between 45 and 55 percent.

dennisg

Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Dave

While on vacation we were told to visit Utah. What a state! Love, love, love the canyons and National Parks. Found a restaurant in Moab named Jay's. Best lasagne on the planet! Only on Wednesday......

Mark

New Hampshire is on our list of places to go. As well as Mass. and Vermont. We tour for about a month at a time in our rolling, air-conditioned dog house.

Dennis

Washington and Oregon are on the list, too. Yes, I have considered a smaller guitar. I am also working on new ways to hold this one. Or maybe rest it on a stand between my legs.

I use humidipaks from Musician's Friend. They are supposed to keep the humidity at 45-55 as long as it's in the case. I may look into a hygrometer.

I could dig up another fruit jar and buy me smaller guitar, but I am reluctant to do that. I'd really like to grow into a better guitar than buy one and hope to grow into it.

Well, the dogs are wanting their two-mile hike.

Laters.............

TwoCat

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic