Introducing myself and a few questions

xiombargdei

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:47 am

Hi there ! hello from France !

Im 33 years old and 5 months ago at a friend's party i heard a voice in my head saying "you have to learn how to play the guitar"... I indeed was on drugs, but very lightly actually :)

So i borrowed the guitar of a friend. Its an old piece of crap he bought 10€ 10 years ago but its ok enough to me. I started admiring guitar players on youtube like Sungha Yung or Igor Presnyakov, and of course Neil who has definitly the best teaching skills. I unfortunatly dont have 300€ for the TARGET program but i did buy the lesson "Is there anybody out there" to get me started. I dont like strumming for now, i like to pick my strings. I have 2 questions if you dont mind :

- can you point me to songs like "Is there anybody out there" ? Its an easy and beautiful one, and i'd like to practice more of the kind.
- I bought a thumbnail pick out of curiosity and i wonder if its a good thing to start learning the guitar with it or not ... it feels really uncomfortable :(

thanks for reading so far :)
have fun!

willem

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:08 am

Hi, welcome from the Netherlands(look north),,, i can't really point you to songs like ''is there anybody out there'''but i geuss after me they will tell you,,for me i practise alot on ''landslide'' Fleetwood Mac a nice pickin song(travis pickin) and we have a lot of nice pickin songs here..you can't pay for TARGET but there is target light,maybe you know it all ready..you get i believe two songs per month. I think AndyT will promoot it to you,we both are not a salesman but the more students we have,,,well you can geuss...Oh Neil you all ready familair with,what can i say more..maybe the other subscrbers will tell you...

dtaylor

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:55 am

Hi there and welcome from the Netherlands as well! :)

Your questions, fingerpicking songs right?! Well how about Blackbird, or indeed Landslide? Or House of the Rising Sun? Brain Damage? Dust in the wind? Well something like that. I'm sure others will have some ideas as well.

A thumbpick, hmmmm....I'd definitely recommend to start with your flesh-thumb first! ;)

Anyway, I'm sure you will have a good time around here, plenty of lessons to choose from and taught by the greatest teacher around! :cheer: And indeed, if you have questions or something else, fire away!

Have fun and happy playing!

Vanessa

jayswett

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:05 am

I'm with Nesh regarding the thumb pick. Get started without it for now.

Another fingerpicking song to learn that you might like is Just Breathe (Pearl Jam). There is alot to choose from as you have already figured out, no doubt.

willem

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:12 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Hi there and welcome from the Netherlands as well! :)

Your questions, fingerpicking songs right?! Well how about Blackbird, or indeed Landslide? Or House of the Rising Sun? Brain Damage? Dust in the wind? Well something like that. I'm sure others will have some ideas as well.

A thumbpick, hmmmm....I'd definitely recommend to start with your flesh-thumb first! ;)

Anyway, I'm sure you will have a good time around here, plenty of lessons to choose from and taught by the greatest teacher around! :cheer: And indeed, if you have questions or something else, fire away!

Have fun and happy playing!

Vanessa

Oh YEAH,,iI remember ''blackbird'' is a good one with the flesh-thumb..and to improve your thumb

AndyT

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:18 am

Target Lite is a great option if you can not afford the full Target program. And I think you will learn faster since you will not be on overload all the time from so many choices of songs to learn.

Chasplaya

Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:44 am

andyt wrote:
Target Lite is a great option if you can not afford the full Target program. And I think you will learn faster since you will not be on overload all the time from so many choices of songs to learn.
Maybe just for once Lol Andy makes sense here to newbies, plus forget the thumb pick for the moment, rely on au naturale can't get better than in the flesh so to speak! Lot of good suggestions already for you to be going on with so I won't add to the mystery... You will end up going the TARGET way quite likely and will never regret your decision. Good luck mate/ matess

xiombargdei

Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:46 am

hi again

thanks for great suggestions, i'll definitly be looking for target life and the songs you pointed me to !

off to practicing dust in the wind :)

dennisg

Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:12 am

Welcome from Seattle, USA. Enjoy yourself.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic