Hello to you all.

jimlard

Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Hello, I have owned a Yamaha F-310 for twelve years or more now and I am ashamed to say I have only ever learned to strum a few chords (and not that well either).
I have spent a long time trying to teach myself from various books but can't seem to get past this strumming badly level :( .
I've always wanted lessons but never had the confidence to play in front of someone else :blush: . I am chuffed to bits I have found this site, I stumbled across it whilst trawling through Youtube, I like to go on there and listen to 'Classical Gas' and dream that maybe one day I will be able to play it myself (we can all dream :laugh: )
Just looking at the 59th bridge street lesson on here has got me to pick up my guitar again after practically giving up after all this time, I'm really enjoying trying to learn this piece. I'm eager to learn once again and once I've got to grips with the site I would like to join the Target lite option, it sounds ideal for me.
Any road, that's me.
Regards
Jim.

sbutler

Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:49 pm

Welcome from Alaska Jim. Your story is almost to the letter, of what many of us here have gone through. You'r just the next in line. The good news is, like you, I basically started from scratch, and yes, now I'm practicing Classical Gas on a pretty regular basis. Not full speed mind you, but it still SOUNDs like Clasical Gas.

The moral of that story it that Neil teaches theory and techniques, not songs. However when you learn the things he teaches, you'll be able to play the songs you want, and learning new stuff just gets easier and easier.

I'm sure others will jump in here to welcome you, and they too will tell you the same thing. If you want to learn how to play a GUITAR, this is the place to be.

So, let the learning begin and have a great time doing it.

Scott

AcousticAl

Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:07 pm

F-310 was my first guitar. Nice choice, and nice sound.

Welcome and see you around!

Al from (near) Toronto.

dennisg

Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi Jim,

A big welcome from Seattle. I'm guessing from your use of the word "chuffed" that you're a Brit, Scot, Aussie, or Kiwi. Whichever, just know that in a very short time, you're going to be a much better guitarist than you were when you started here. Lots of people post videos in this forum, and watching their progress is just amazing.

AndyT

Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:02 pm

Guitar? This is a GUITAR site?!
Man, Now I'm really chapped. And here I was wondering what chords had to do with learning to make corn kernel necklaces.

ALOHA from Paradise! (Hawaii)
You've found the right place. The only think you can't get on this site is the determination to practice. But inspiration abounds.

dekotaj

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Hey Jim

Welcome to T.G..Not sure how long you been with us?But if you checked out the Recent discussions threads,You no how great the people are here.And that my friend is a sign of how great this site is.So join us,If they let and old Illinois boy like me join in the fun what the heck.Learn to play guitar had have fun doing it.

Good luck Jim
Kevin

Post Script

Were you from??

coomba

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:08 pm

G'day Jim
Welcome to TG your story is familiar, have a look at some of the beginner lessons they will help you with your strumming in no time at all as well as get your technique started off on the right foot.
I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself at TG as only good thing happen here
Great teacher, Great people and Great site.
Have fun

Cheers Scott (Australia)

dsmarion

Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:28 pm

Welcome from Michigan, Jim.

I had not touched a guitar in 12 years before recently finding this place and now I have found new enthusiasm for playing again. I did play for years but just lost interest over time, staled and basically just burned out. But here you find a reason every single day for doing something with that instrument. Glad to have you aboard!

Scott

millponddave

Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Welcome from Utah, You have come to the right place to learn and have come to the right place to learn and improve and have a great time in the process.

Dave

dtaylor

Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:37 pm

Hi Jim, and welcome.

I was a beginner when I found this site and joined up straight away and haven't bothered looking at another site since (other than to confirm what awful dross passes for teaching out there...). I learned many songs along the way but am very proud to say that I can play Classical Gas (up to a point), something I thought I would never be able to do.

The site provides something new to learn everyday, and is exciting and inspirational. I hope you join the Target programme, best decision I made in guitar learning.

Dean

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic