New Post from an Old Redneck

budman50830

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Hello all. I thought I would take the opportunity to introduce myself. I'm Bud Tucker from Creston, Iowa. (southwest corner) I was born in Tampa, Florida. I'm 51, married. 1 daughter, 1 stepson, 5 grandkids, and 1 great granddaughter with another on the way. (stepgranddaughter is the mommy) LOL
I've always enjoyed music, singing with the radio, etc. But never could afford to buy a guitar or get lessons. I used to do the Tom Cruise air guitar thing jamming to the classic rock of the 70s. But I always played left handed. Yeah, I'm a southpaw. LOL I actually bought a right handed Yamaha at a pawn shop back in the mid 90s but struggled with it terribly. I finally gave up and sold it thinking I was never gonna be able to play.
5 years ago I started driving a truck over the road and needed something to take up my idle time in the truck. So I bought a left handed Ibanez acoustic off of E-Bay and BAM! I was instantly a better guitar player left handed. Then I found my Yamaha I have now at a local music store. It's a Yamaha FG720SL. Sounds really good. Since then I have been self taught off the internet and I must say that TG is the best site I've found so far. As far as my skill level now, I'm still a beginner. But I can play America's Sandman thanks to Neil! LOL I have learned most of the open cords, at least the majors, and some minors. I'm working on transitions from 1 cord to the next.
My taste in music is all about the 60s, & 70s. Country and Folk and Soft Rock. Neil's Campfire songs, the Eagles, Waylon & Willie, John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot, etc. You get the picture. Time Life put out a collection of CDs called "The Singers and Songwriters Collection". That would describe my taste pretty well. Altough I do love my country as well. LOL

Chasplaya

Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Well hello again Bud, pleased you found your way here, all the guys and gals will be along pretty soon to welcome you. Similar story to many of us and probably similar age group although not as old as Chris aka neverfoundthetime from Switzerland although he's a Pom but I don't hold that against him lol. I am a Scot but have lived in NZ for 30yrs I reckon similar tastes to yours; so knowing that you're gonna love this site man.

Lavallee

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:41 am

Hi Bud, welcome from Montreal Canada, glad you found the site and that you already enjoy it.

Marc

dekotaj

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:56 am

Good no you brother.Iowa,Not one of those Hawkeye fan??LOL.Welcome I live right next door(Illinois)Right on 80 & 74
at the Mississippi.We got Suzi just north of me(Cheese head)State.Next time you swing by the Quad cities we could say Hi.

And the best way to get better is stay on this site and play the guitar!!

Have a good one.
Kevin

dsmarion

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:35 am

Bud,

Welcome from southeast Michigan. From your introduction I think you'll fit right in here at TG (if you're serious about wanting to learn I would suggest that you join the Target program and get unlimited access to everything here - you won't regret it). You will learn more here than you ever dreamed (and faster than you ever though possible). Welcome aboard!

Scott

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:15 am

Welcome from Switzerland Bud. You will fit in her like a hand in a glove, that's for sure. I'm a big Lightfoot fan too and I'll play Sandman on a 12 string right along with you. Actually, Chas is the oldest member here as his very first TG forum post was found under the Pyramids in Giza, which is how we know they are 12,500 years old and not just 4'500!
Chris

Guitarmom

Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:15 am

Hi Bud,

Welcome from the great state of Texas!

Rev Kate

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:31 am

Hi Bud,

Welcome from the Netherlands!

That was a very nice introduction, wanna wish you lots of fun on your guitarjourney.You've come to the right place for that, learn, practice, play and enjoy! ;)

cheers

Vanessa

willem

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:12 am

Hi Bud welcome from the smallest country on earth the Netherlands that is,,yes the smallest but i(we) made it bigger with totallyguitars and is very peaceful world with alot of music,,i count 58 so i'm not the oldest,wel i certainly feel a bit young here with all the music out the past don't be afraid when you meet some good guitarist and singers they can only inspire you,,wish you luck on the yourney here and find some good parking place to hit the TG button...

Willem

Music Junkie

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:05 am

Hey Bud, welcome from Ventura, Ca. Glad to hear there is another lefty here. Someone else who can dilute the wrong handed jokes..... ;)

I am right there with you about trying to play right handed and just not getting it. Switched to lefty and the journey has been grand ever since. Glad you found the site! Like the others have mentioned, you will be right at home here.

Just for fun, and to fuel what we call G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome), I will leave you this link.....

http://www.southpawguitars.com/

Very nice folks who have helped me out a couple of times.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. :)

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic