New to Totally Guitar

pa1791

Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Hello to you all, hmmmmm, what to say?

I've been playing guitar by sight and ear off and on for about thirty five years. I think I'm fairly decent at it and when i need humbled I watch youtube covers of some really talented people and i realize how good I'm not.

I have played electric guitar, mostly power chords and a lick to two, never really learned to play leads.
I really enjoy acoustic guitar and hope to someday perform at a coffee house or small club/bar.
I seem to gravitate mostly around country music and some modern rock music and a lot of older stuff, I'm all over the place. If i like the way a song sounds I learn it basically.
I currently play a Takamine EF341SC which is probably the best guitar I've ever owned so far. I have a Martin Sigma i use as a campfire guitar.

I would like to learn music theory and learn how to transpose chords before i get to much older, there are just so many hours in a day and I really like to play and there never seems to be enough time to study it and besides reading it on the internet is confusing to me.

So i guess I'm sort of searching for a way i can learn and improve my playing in a way that i can absort it so that it makes sense to me.

I'm looking forward to seeing how maybe this community might be able to assist me and it goes without saying i am always willing to help those who can benefit from what I've learned over the years. I'm kinda of a stickler for playing songs as played by the original artist or as close as possible anyways.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from everyone! Image

buddy

Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:43 pm

Welcome aboard !

AndyT

Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:10 am

Transposing to a different key is actually quite easy once you get the musical alphabet down.

Welcome to TG. You're gonna like it here.

michelew

Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:59 am

Hi there and welcome from the Netherlands!

Well you've found the right place for everything that you'd like to learn, so wanna wish you lots of fun doing so.

All the best,

Vanessa

neverfoundthetime

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:04 am

Welcome Pa! Sounds like you'll fit right in here... have fun!
Chris

willem

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:14 am

Welcome from the Netherlands as well,,like Andy said learn the musical alphabet first and you have good start,,for example, C-D-E-F-G-A-B all white key's on the keyboard..(gee were are they on the guitar)

goodluck on a great but fun yourney

Willem

dsmarion

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:23 am

Welcome Pa. Hello from southeast Michigan. From your story you are like a few others here. My story is very similar except for the part of actually quitting playing at all for a number of years in the mix. You will find lots to learn here and a great community of folks doing the same. Most of the stuff you'll want are in the Target program but peruse the free stuff and see how the lessons here fit into what you want to learn. I think you'll like it.

Scott

dennisg

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:39 am

Welcome aboard from Seattle. Enjoy yourself.

sbutler

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:26 am

Well based on what you say you want to acheive, it sounds like this site was custom made just for you. Lots of others as well, including me.

Everything you want is here. And its all taught by a guy that can help anyone learn it. All you have to to is put in some effort, and before you know it, you'll be in that coffee shop .

Welcome from Alaska.

Scott

BobR

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:26 am

Welcome from Massachusetts. You're certain to enjoy yourself and learn something too.

Have fun

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic