Greetings from Cali!

jgenhalp

Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:22 am

Hello, I have been playing guitar off and on for the past 7 years. I feel as I can play pretty good but have issues with singing and playing at the same time. Is that weird? I don't know. Just seems if I am strumming a song that once I start to sing, I lose track of my playing but I digress.

willem

Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:28 am

Greeting from the Netherlands,,loosing track while playing and singin is very normal i think well in the way you don't have it really down,,what i learn here is that you must dream(know)the chord patern and don't even think a baut it when you play it so you can concentrade on the lyrics and there frasing,,maybe you lose track 'cos you don't have the frasing of the lyrics down,,it happen much that you must sing words or syllables over more notes then one or hold them longer then one beat,,i am not so good in listen to the song and add that so i look to a written sheetmusic and play or study the melody as well..

i think you get more respons on this....oh..the best thing i learn here is to slow everything down to a speed you can handle and in future speed it up to the original speed or tempo..

Willem

Music Junkie

Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:05 am

jgenhalp:

Welcome from Southern Cali...... Ventura to be specific.

Trying to sing and play at the same time has been a struggle for me as well, so you have company. You have come to the right place to work on that. There are many solid lessons here to get you more and more comfortable with your playing. When the playing becomes almost second nature, then the signing falls into line more and more. Keep working on it and you will get there.... ;)

MJ

tovo

Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:46 am

Hi there!

And welcome from the Netherlands as well!

Singing and playing....well it's really not weird if that is giving you a bit of a headache, it can be a challenge indeed.

Why not shoot a video of you playing and singing, usually it's very clear for the listener/watcher what is going on to what you need to pay attention to.

Just a thought and of course not a must!

In any way, enjoy the site, there are tons and tons of information in here wich will benefit your playing and your singing!

all the best,

Vanessa

dekotaj

Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:18 pm

Just seems if I am strumming a song that once I start to sing, I lose track of my playing ........he said.

Hello from Oklahoma!

Funny you should post that; I posted almost the exact words!

I will tell you what I was told and it helped a lot. Do not use the words to the song--substitute "do do do do" in the melody and rhythm of the song.

Neil does it very nicely on the song "Margaritaville".

Sam

tovo

Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Hello from Australia. Some days I struggle to walk and talk at the same time so playing and singing is a challenge and you just need to persist. Knowing the song so well you can play it in your sleep really helps, the vocals aren't such a challenge then. Anyway, stick around and you will learn a lot. Welcome.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic