Aloha from Hawaii

surfergirl

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:55 pm

Aloha everyone!!!! I'm new to playing guitar and new to Totally Guitars. I'm really liking this site and the lessons TGNeil gives. He is very informative and fortunately goes slow enough for a beginner like me ;) . I hope this doesn't sound stupid but the toughest part of playing guitar for me has been the strumming. I try to listen to songs and figure them out but get overwhelmed by all the other insruments and vocals etc.....I've got two songs that have really been bothering me....I want to learn them and have tried literally for hours trying to get the strums down. Can anyone please, please, please help a sistah out and give me the strums for: Cat Steven's Where do the Children Play and Lee Dewyze"s Sweet Serendipity? I would really appreciate it. Many Mahalos, Aloha :)

Music Junkie

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:17 pm

Welcome from sunny Southern California! Nothing is silly except not asking around here...... ;) Not familiar with either of those songs, but I'll take a listen, and I am sure that there are a few folks here that will know them.

Glad you decided to join the community!

MJ

surfergirl

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:21 pm

THank you sooooooo much for replying and trying to help me with this :cheer:

ncsurfer

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:23 pm

Welcome Surfergirl!

Good to see another surfer out there playing guitar! goofy or regular? I envy the waves you have out there, except for hurricane swells we are pretty tame over here on the 'right' cooast. This is a great site and members will help you out with everything or anything. I'm not familiar with those songs but I'm sure someone will pipe in with some wisdom for you. keep at it!

surfergirl

Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Thanks!!! :) And I'm regular foot B)

dekotaj

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:18 pm

Hey surfergirl -I dont no the songs but if you have the tab or sheet music,check to see what time the song is in.Then tap your foot to the music.Down strums on the beat with your foot going down.Up strums when your foot is coming back up.So say Four Four timing.Try down strum, miss the up,down strum,miss the up,, and then down up down up.And if you count when your tapping your foot.As in 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and.so strum down on 1-2 and down up on 3 and 4 and.Hope it helps???

Kevin
welcome to TG

BobR

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:37 pm

Welcome Surfergirl,

You've definitely come to the right place for learning the guitar. I hope you'll have fun learning.

Bob

sbutler

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Hey surfergirl, Welcome from snowy Alaska

I had never heard of either on of those songs before, but a quick google for the Cat Stevens song showed me something that I liked. The video I found was a live version and he basically lived on a D maj then to a Gmaj. Looks like constant strumming, and would be pretty easy to work out with some time.

If your completely new to playing guitar and all things cool that could be used as training tools, you should check out a software called Guitar Pro 6. If the tabs or chords of a song are somewhere on the net, (and they usually are) GP6 will allow you to slow that song down and play it at any tempo you like. Its really a great learning tool, and you'll soon see that Neil tabs out almost every lesson that he teaches in GP.

Again, glad you joined in. We were all newbies once, me not so long ago, and I sure have progressed farther here than I ever believed possible.

Scott

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:52 pm

Welcome to TG there surfergirl... hope you have a ball here where do the children play is a great song and the video above might help... let us know if your having problems still...
Greetings from Switzerland.
Chris

surfergirl

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:00 pm

WOW! :side: :silly: !!!Thanks everyone........I will try everything you have told me. What a great community!!!! I think I'm going to like it here :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic