Aloha from Hawaii

sbutler

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:27 pm

I sent you PM with some more info on the Cat Stevens song.

Scott

dennisg

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:37 pm

Greetings from soggy Seattle. Have a great time here, and don't get overwhelmed by all the material.

tovo

Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:47 pm

Hey from Australia. Glad to see you on the site and hope you get from it what you are looking for.

Music Junkie

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:20 pm

I saw that Scott jumped in on the Cat Stevens number..... I did a quick search for the other and found this:

At first listen, I am hearing Down/Down/Up/Down/Down/Up/Down/Down/Up/Down/Up/Down/Up in a fairly fast strum. Sounds like 4/4 time also....

1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a
* * * * * * * * * * * * * (Note: The format was lost when I posted... The asterisk is supposed to be under the 1, &, a, 2, &, a, 3, &, a, 4, e, &, a)

The numbers and the & signs are the down strokes and the e and a are up strokes. Now I will openly admit that I am not very strong at rhythm yet, but I tried it out on the guitar and it seemed to work O.K.

I am sure someone with a better grip on this will chime in as well..... B)

You can always post a clip of what you are working on for some friendly and encouraging feedback....

Good Luck!

dsmarion

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:37 pm

Hey surfergirl! Welcome from southeast Michigan! Hope you enjoy your visit and decide to stay around. Lots to learn here and a lot of great folks in the community. If you are an absolute beginner you should go through the Beginner's Genious Series where Neil covers every aspect of beginning to learn to play including strumming and counting. All those lessons will help get you started on the right foot. Enjoy your stay -- and ask away if you need help.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/free-guit ... ee-lessons

Scott

suziko

Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:24 am

Aloha and welcome from the Netherlands Surfergirl! :)

Glad to see another female aboard. I'm sure you will enjoy this place, since there is só much to get out and so much to share with other music/guitarlovers.

Indeed, why not post a little clip of one of those songs, so that we can see what is happening for you. The experience of many others is, ever since they started uploading, the feedback and encouragement from everybody over here is just overwhelming. But of course, only if you want to.

Have fun!

Vanessa

willem

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:04 am

Aloha from the Neterlands as well,,i alway's wanted to learn surfing,,we don't have waves but we do have wind so we surf with a sail and jump over the litlle waves,, we also like to surf over the net and special on TG,, a lot of strange people here,,oh have to explain this i mean they come all over the world and try to surf the guitar(s)

I still struggle but with a lot of fun.. it was a quite a struggle at first and struggle through

All you need is a lot of time

peace

Willem

EDIT. the greatest thing i learned from Neil is ''never stop the movement of your strumming hand'''every down is a on the beat strum 1-2-3-4 when you hit also the strings on your way up it is 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 1 and,,,and so on of course when it is 4/4 time(but never stop the the movement),,when you do a folkstrum has Neil called it you make a sort of fake strum on a down and on count three that is ,,you move down but don't hit the strings 1and 2and fake/and 4and 1and 2and fake/and 4 and etc..

then we have a ballad strum (also an fake in it),, there is a rock strum,,,there is a make it your self strum...lol well i know counting is a important thing and playing along with a metronome or a drumtrack.. i think you find your way if you stay and in between try to enjoy life has well....

michelew

Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:50 am

Hey surfergirl,

A big sunny welcome from Sydney. If you stick around and explored all the TG has to offer you'll learn faster than you ever thought possible and have a fun time doing it. I hope we see a video from you real soon. Start as soon as can so that you can look back and see how fast you're learning. It's really motivating and people here will give you the tips that we can.

I'm looking forward to seeing your stuff. have fun.

See you around.

Michele.

dekotaj

Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:42 am

Music Junkie wrote:
I saw that Scott jumped in on the Cat Stevens number..... I did a quick search for the other and found this:

Good Luck!

Hey wasn't this guy on American Idol!Really like his stuff!!

surfergirl

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Thank you soooooooooo much everyone!!!!!!!!! this is so cool that there are people in the community from all over the world!!!!! The U.S., The Netherlands, Australia etc....By the way I have been to Australia twice and I loved it........the people were so friendly, the waves were awesome especially at Noosa, the country is breath taking, and the food and beer excellent!!!! Had a couple people tell me to post my guitar playing to get freedback but it is way too early for that and Yikes! I don't know if I can do that........not very brave on land. Going to take TG's beginner course and work hard :cheer: Mahalo

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic