Aloha from Hawaii

willem

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:30 pm

surfergirl wrote:
Thank you soooooooooo much everyone!!!!!!!!! this is so cool that there are people in the community from all over the world!!!!! The U.S., The Netherlands, Australia etc....By the way I have been to Australia twice and I loved it........the people were so friendly, the waves were awesome especially at Noosa, the country is breath taking, and the food and beer excellent!!!! Had a couple people tell me to post my guitar playing to get freedback but it is way too early for that and Yikes! I don't know if I can do that........not very brave on land. Going to take TG's beginner course and work hard :cheer: Mahalo

Tell us how you did the quiz,,, :laugh: Mahalo ...

thereshopeyet

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:48 pm

Thanks

surfergirl

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks :) Going to join Target after I go through the beginning course to get a solid background first.....Aloha :)

thereshopeyet

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi and welcome Surfer-girl from Chas in New Zealand. If you have Guitar Pro 6 I have a pretty good tab for 'Where Do The Children Play', pm me and let me know I can always convert it to PDF as well if you wish, it has broken down the guitar to two parts which should really be played as one and it also has the slash marks for the strum notation. It is in 4/4 time as others have mentioned but the strum pattern reverses from down, down up, down up, down up to next measure going down up, down up, down up, down. He also loosely picks out notes which gives it the distinctive sound.

AndyT

Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Aloha Kama'aina! What island you stay?
I live in Village Park on Oahu.
Welcome to TG. You will find this place is very addictive.

willem

Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:15 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Hello Surfer Girl

I'm sorry I can't help you with the strums.

That's funny, I was watching the movie "Soul Surfer" about the incredible surfer girl Bethany Hamilton, very moving.

If you join the Target Program you can post a request for these two songs in the "Recommend A Lesson" section.

There's no guarantee that a lesson will be made by TGNeil because it's based on members voting for the lesson.

I've checked and both songs are there with some votes against them.
I added my votes as a gesture of welcome so when you decide to join us in Target at least it's more votes.

There a many free lessons here : - Free Lessons

Maybe if you have a look at some of them you'll get some suitable strumming ideas.

Oh, by the way, there are some excellent Cat Stevens songs in the Target Section all ready.
Or get them as a package here:- Cat Stevens Package

Me.... I'd say Join Target and get access to everything..... it's endlesss value for money.

Good Luck

TheresHopeYet

:)

PS

I just reread my post and would like to add..... I'm not a sale guy :blush: ..... I just love Totally Guitars !!!!

When I came across TG I purchased the Neil Young package..... then realised I could get 10 times more for my money and asked if i could change...... that was two years ago......
Now there's much much more!!!
:laugh:
Dermot,,much more????,,,plenty you mean...

songman52

Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:40 am

Hey surfergirl, welcome from Texas. Love Cat Stevens and play many of his (older) songs. I used to play Where Do the Children Play by fingerpicking on the verses and strumming on the chorus. I'd suggest you look at the basic strumming lessons and practice them.
A simple strum for this song can be D DU UDU (change chord) and repeat D DU UDU (change chord) and so on for the verse. D = downstroke, U = upstroke
If you're using the chords D and G, when you get to the chorus as you're on the G chord, hit the E string third fret (G note) then second fret (F# note) then open (E note) as you go to the Em chord for the chorus. This little "walkdown" adds a little something to the tune. Then continue the strumming pattern as above.

It might not be an exact reproduction, but you can sing with it and any Cat Stevens fan will recognize it. If it doesn't fit your voice range, either capo or transpose, or both.

Hope this helps. I'm strumming it in my head at the moment, if that's any help.

BTW, Surfer Girl is a nice moniker and a great song, one of my favorites from the Beach Boys.

Again, welcome to TG.

Jerry

surfergirl

Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:17 pm

Thank you very much Jerry!!!!!!! This helps a great deal and I too really dig the song "surfer Girl" by the Beach Boys. Maybe I'll try to tackle that song next. Thanks again ;) :cheer:

Chasplaya

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi surfergirl I got your pm but if you want the PDF you need to send an email address via the pm system

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic