Hi from Bill In Maryland

fgrpick

Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:14 pm

I am retired and 57 years old. I grew up listening the songs of the late 60's and 70's. One of my favorite groups was David Gates and Bread. In the 80's I started listening to sort of the new pop country music. Some of my favorite singer/guitarists were Steve Wariner, Collin Raye and Dan Seals to name a few. I will be recommending some songs of these artists and hope I will have some supporters of their music here. Back in my 20's I bought a Yamaha G-255 s nylon string classical guitar and took a few lessons. Since then I have forgot most of my musical knowledge and found it hard to learn and remember things in the time period of a lesson.

Then I discovered Totally Guitars while watching and listening to music on You Tube and join the Target program. Neil is really to be commended for a wonderful site and format to learn guitar and music. I love the ability to repeat lessons and learn at my own time and pace. He has some excellent songs of my era and lessons that inspire me to practice. I hope now with Neils help to become a good guitar player. Thanks Neil

dsmarion

Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Welcome from southeast Michigan, Bill. Your story is similar to many here so you will fit in just fine. And lots to get excited about learning here too. Have fun!

Scott

BobR

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi Bill,

Nice introduction. I know that you'll enjoy yourself here. There's so much you can learn and as you said you can do it at your own pace.

Bob

from MA.

fgrpick

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:27 am

Thanks Bob and Scott for the welcome! I about got the song Aubrey by Bread memorized and now am working on getting my rhythm so I can sing along. It has been good song to start for me as it is all finger picking. My next song will be Everything I Own which has the aspect of strumming too. Definitely a skill I want and need to learn. Bill

fgrpick

Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:35 am

Hi Bill,

And welcome from the Netherlands!

You've come to the right place, so just wanna wish you lots of fun around here, you're gonna love it as most of us do, enjoy!

cheers

Vanessa

neverfoundthetime

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:10 am

Welcome from Switzerland Bill! Glad to hear you have time on your hands spending it here at TG.
Hope you have a ball... maybe post a Bread song when you have it down?
Chris

Chasplaya

Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Welcome Bill from Chas in New Zealand, many similar stories to yours Bill have fun and don't be afraid to get involved with us in the forums a lot of good stuff appears here from time too time.

skaladar

Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Hiya Bill … *waves from NYC* and welcome to TG

Yup, you’ve come to the place to be in your continuing music education. As Chas mentions, there are many similar stories here. I’m about your age and although not yet retired, am now finding the time to pickup guitar playing where I left off some thirty years ago. As you’ve found out, TG is a real find, Neil is second to none when it comes to guitar teachers and the community is a collection of some of the best people you'll ever want to meet. Oh how I wish there was a resources like this available to me when I was younger. I have no doubt that you will be amazed at how fast you progress, especially since you’re a target member.

Good luck on your guitar journey, I know you’re gonna love it!

♫ Ken ♫

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic