Hello all from Mike in Texas

skaladar

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi Mike *waves from NYC* … and welcome to TG!

Yup, a teen guitar player, 35 years ago … sounds just like myself and so many others among the ranks here. Well, one thing for sure, you made a good decision by coming to TG to allow Neil to continue your musical endeavors. You won’t be sorry. As others have mentioned the free stuff is great but the Target program really shines with detail. There is also Target Lite, individual packages by artist and individual pay per song lessons. You can’t go wrong either way you look at it. I have no doubt that you’ll be amazed at how quickly your progress under Neil’s direction.

Good luck on your musical journey … I know you’re going to love it!

♫ Ken ♫

songman52

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:54 pm

Hello Mike from Texas, and welcome from, well ... TEXAS! What part of the state are you in?

Jerry

jm_costley

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:45 pm

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am about 1 hour west of Houston.

I have two guitars one and Alverez which I acquired some 25 years ago that has really gone through the mill and is probably overdue to be brought in for service, but it still sounds good. Recently purchased a Taylor GSMini through Musicians Friend which is only an extension of Guitar Central. Other than being a Taylor it really has no outstanding features with the exception of it sounding pretty good for a back pack guitar and very easy to play. The reason for choosing such a small guitar was mainly space constraints as when traveling especially with family there was never enough room to bring a full size guitar. I saw that Martin also makes a couple varieties of small guitars, but the Taylor had much better reviews. I tried looking at music stores, but I get overwelmed with all the selections.

I enjoy most kinds of music but like playing songs that have chord progressions as songs that are very repititious tend to be very boring to play as they are the same thing over and over. I have currently just learned to play a couple songs written by Steve Prestwich a percussionist (passed away early this year) for a little known band here but down under they are a favorite called Cold Chisel. The songs are "When The War Is Over" which has strong meaning for us here in the US these days and "Flame Trees" that has a special meaning for me as I graduated from small town Texas that virtually has gone unchanged for all these years. I am having difficulty with flame trees as the intro is done on the piano and I haven't been able to come up with a guitar replication for it yet. Another song recently learned is "You Got It" by Roy Orbison, can't go wrong with Roy maybe one of the best song writters of this centuty. Anyway Cold Chisel is a band that originally rose up in the late '70's and still going strong and they are smokin hot. Go on youtube and checkout their ringside video of Bow River and enjoy.

Songs I like to learn primarily are the ones other people don't normally play which helps stand out a bit when playing around friends.

Thanks again, and cheers to all.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic