hello

timbavati

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:31 am

Hi guys---a warm (NOO..OOOT) actually cold,grey,miserable hallo from over the pond in Kent (UK) .Turning 51 next Sunday and always had the desire to play the guitar.Between raising 3 beautiful children and doing dentistry every day,the desire was always hidden behind more excuses.They have all flown the nest now(only the financial part didn't) and NOW is the time for me to dust off the desire. Eerily enough, decades ago i played Never Going Back Again (Fleetwood Mac) to my wife on my newly acquired and first grand hi-fi set, and said to her"before i die i want to play that for you-it sends shivers down my whole body" Well, about 2 years ago i almost died(tumor on the pancreas) and about 2months ago i got a e-mail from my son ,just with the link to You-tube on it,and the words:"one to play one day dad".He was aware that i always wanted to take up playing,but not about this specific desire to play this specific song.Yes,you guessed right-the link was for Never going back again(Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks).Coincidence or what? I found TG.com whilst browsing around for help on how to start and already had two good practice sessions since yesterday.What a pleasure! Will post it when i fullfill my dream.

Harry

lueders

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:48 am

Welcome Harry!!

I think you'll like it here! A lot of friendly folks...and the best lessons you'll ever see.

Cori (from Illinois)

dsmarion

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:54 am

Welcome to TG Harry!

I will say you have picked the right site to start your guitar adventure! I wish I could say the same thing about the song you picked to start with. I have been working on that one for about 3 months and I am nowhwere near playing it well yet. It is not an easy one, but it is a beautiful song and I sure gained a lot of respect for Lindsay Buckingham's skill as a guitarist working on this one. I might suggest you start with some easier ones at first if you are a true beginner. In fact, if you are a absolute beginner with no musical experience at all you should probably start with the Beginner's Series as it covers all you need to know to get started on the right foot. Then maybe try a few level 1-3 fingerpicking songs and see how it goes. Others can suggest the best ones to start with better than I can.

Enjoy your stay and ask if you need any help. There are lots of friendly people here who can help guide you on your journey.

Scott

willem

Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:55 am

Looking forward to your upload when your ready(or not) and get all supporting advices or waves..bows etc,,

welcome from the grey Netherlands...

Willem

Be friends with Cori(leuders) and he will send you T-shirts with Fleetwood Mac on it..lol

tombo1230

Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:12 am

timbavati wrote:
Hi guys---a warm (NOO..OOOT) actually cold,grey,miserable hallo from over the pond in Kent (UK) .Turning 51 next Sunday and always had the desire to play the guitar.Between raising 3 beautiful children and doing dentistry every day,the desire was always hidden behind more excuses.They have all flown the nest now(only the financial part didn't) and NOW is the time for me to dust off the desire. Eerily enough, decades ago i played Never Going Back Again (Fleetwood Mac) to my wife on my newly acquired and first grand hi-fi set, and said to her"before i die i want to play that for you-it sends shivers down my whole body" Well, about 2 years ago i almost died(tumor on the pancreas) and about 2months ago i got a e-mail from my son ,just with the link to You-tube on it,and the words:"one to play one day dad".He was aware that i always wanted to take up playing,but not about this specific desire to play this specific song.Yes,you guessed right-the link was for Never going back again(Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks).Coincidence or what? I found TG.com whilst browsing around for help on how to start and already had two good practice sessions since yesterday.What a pleasure! Will post it when i fullfill my dream.

Harry
Harry, what a great story, welcome from Scotland. Now is your time! The guitar is a great instrument to learn, You will love it here and if you do the lessons and put in the work you will get the results. I look forward to your post when you have realised your song, 'Never Going Back Again'. I'm sure you will get on just fine with Neils great lessons and you just have to ask for help here and you will get it, so don't hold back. You should learn the basics first, check out the popular lesson series on the lh side, beginners genius and acoustic genius if you need the basics. :)

enjoy your journey, enjoy TG.

Tom N.

lueders

Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:44 am

willem wrote:
Looking forward to your upload when your ready(or not) and get all supporting advices or waves..bows etc,,

welcome from the grey Netherlands...

Willem

Be friends with Cori(leuders) and he will send you T-shirts with Fleetwood Mac on it..lol
Ha. ha Wilem..Yep, I just might! You're a good friend to have yourself, fella! It was actually a Crosby Stills & Nash logo with a the letters: CS &N interlocked...that worked for N- for Ness, S-Suzi, C- for Cori, also....but they were cheap @ kinda poorly made. LOL! :laugh:

haoli25

Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Hello Harry. I am glad you decided to join us here at TG. Pick up your guitar and tighten your seatbelt! :) Take your time and look around the site, try some of the free lessons, recommend a lesson or two, etc. When you are ready, I hope you will give some thought to joing the TARGET program. It is one of the best bargains on the internet. If you put in time and practice, you will be amazed how quickly you will learn. Once you get your fingerpicking skills down, I think you will really like Neil's lesson on "Never Going Back Again". His arrangement in C Wahine tuning (CGDGBE) makes it easy to learn....with some practice. Along the way you will find many, many other great songs. You will also find some wonderful people and very talented musicians in the TG family to help you with your guitar journey.

Have fun and welcome.

Bill Image

tovo

Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Welcome aboard Harry from Australia. If you work through the lessons here then the tune you want to play, and many others, will be within your reach before too long. Enjoy.

dtaylor

Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Harry, hi from High Wycombe!
Just like you I found this site when I bought a guitar and wanted to learn Never Going Back Again.

It took a while as a complete beginner but I learned a great deal and progressed very quickly because I had the motivation to learn it. I agree you should learn the basics about holding the guitar and hand position etc, but there is nothing wrong with aiming high and starting on a song that is beyond a beginner because you need to start somewhere....

There were times when I thought 'I will never be able to play this...' but keep at it and you'll get there.

Dean

p.s.
If you're interested I posted a version on the review side:

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Hi Harry... hope you have some fun here...
Chris in Switzerland

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic