Hello from The Garden State!

aikidesi

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Greetings all!

I joined the Target program a few months ago because I needed to learn how to play Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Let It Snow for two song parodies a friend and I performed last week at a Christmas party.I took lessons for a few years but have not done so in several years.

My original intent was just to join the Target program for a month, learn the 2 songs, and cancel; however, I'm really happy with the program and love the flexibilty it gives me timewise. It's also very cost effective compared with weekly lessons. So, needless to say, I'm going to be sticking with it for the forseeable future.

If you'd like to hear the song, I've included the link below. Keep in mind, its a parody for a martial arts school so its not the traditional lyrics but the melody is straight out of the Target lesson, with the exception of a little descending baseline ( D-C-B-A) I added between the intro lines (i.e. You know Dasher and Dancer...) and the first verse. I thought it made a nice lead in to the main song.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! I'm looking forward to working on songs and discussing them here.

Frank

P.S. In the other song, the "Let It Snow" refrain became "Knock 'em Out" for this particular party. :)

willem

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:17 pm

AHAHAHAH,hi Frank that is a comin,,welcome from the Netherlands,,I warned everybody that they can be hooked up,,it is a blast here..

Goodluck on you guitar yourney and making lyrics,,,scarface..kick his .... ,who was the bad boy?....ahahhaha.

merry Xmas when it comes,,

Willem

aikidesi

Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Hello Willem!
Glad you enjoyed it! All the names in the intro are nicknames of the fighters from that school (Alex Wilkie's Martial Arts Academy); but, even though everyone at the school thinks that "Rudolph" represented someone else from the school, it doesn't. I didn't have anyone in mind; I was just trying to come up with variations of Christmas carols for the party.
If you liked that, you might enjoy our take off on Let It Snow (below), the melody for which I also learned from a Target lesson.
Looking forward to learning from this program and participating in this forum!
Merry Christmas, my friend!
Frank
P.S. I think the best part of this video is when the woman singing almost knocks me off the stool for missing a chord change! LOL (This is the 3rd year that she and I have performed parodies at this party and it's always a lot of fun. Learning to play guitar (even at the mediocre level I'm at) has been one of the best things I've ever done!)

willem

Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:13 pm

Well I don't see you nose bleeding and it could be bad I saw an axe,,

When you upload video in futher we have special uploaders for that,, I don't wanna be a wise guy but I am afraid they delete it..

we have three uploaders one for reviews,,one for busking and one for collaboration....bit i Geuss you know 'cos you were around,,

Willem

Music Junkie

Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi Frank,

And another welcome from the Netherlands! :)

Just wanna wish you all the best and have fun enjoying the site, it truly is a great one!

Much fun to watch your video and posting a link in here shouldn't be a problem. Many of us do so occasionally for one reason or another. But indeed, don't hesitate to use one of the uploaders to share some of your playing with us, it's always very inspirational to watch each other's playing and progress.

Cheers,

Vanessa

lueders

Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Well, Hello there Frank...

That's what I call an introduction. I love that you posted a video on your introduction! Very cool!

A New Jersey-ian heh? A lot of things seem to come from New Jersey (especially these days)...Boardwalk Empire, Jersey Shore,
The Sopranos, Bon Jovi , Springsteen, the Hindenburg. And of course, Frank.

Welcome aboard! I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay!! :)

Cori

Illinois, USA

neverfoundthetime

Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Welcome Frank from the Alps.

Was that an Klingon in the background of your video... meet many of them in NJ? Or was it a taxi driver? :-)
Have fun at TG.
Chris

aikidesi

Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:51 pm

To all: Thank you for the very warm introduction! You guys are great! I'm really glad I joined this site!

Willem - I did see the area for uploading videos but I thought that was more for critques/instruction. I also didn't initially know that the actual video would be embedded in my post; I thought the link would just be there for folks to click on if they chose to do so. Hope I can claim "rookie mistake" and be forgiven this one time. :)

Cheers Vanessa! Thank you for your feedback! BTW, the woman singing is also named Vanessa. :)

Hi Cori! Yes, there's a lot of pop culture surrounding New Jersey these day; although I'm not sure why! LOL I have two very good friends living close to Chicago - are you in that area?

Hey Chris - If you're referring to the guy front and center behind the podium, that's an evil clown; he makes an appearence at every one of these parties. When he shows up, we know the real mayhem is about to begin! LOL

Thank you all again for your feedback and friendliness! Hope everyone is doing well. TTYS

Frank

lueders

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Frank, I am a a couple two-three hours south of Chi-town. (Champaign-Urbana area).

tombo1230

Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:43 am

Vanessa has a great voice. Hope to hear more from both of you.

TCS

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic