Hello from an American in Japan

idavid

Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:33 pm

Joined a month or so ago and am just getting into the site and am very impressed.

I've been playing on and off for the last ten years, but am pretty much just a strumming and singing kind of guy.

I have two musically gifted daughters that I am trying to keep ahead off...lol

I am thrilled that Damien Rice is being covered on the site!

I teach 4th grade to kids who have a parent in the American Air Force and music is a huge part of my teaching.

I live in Northern Japan, which is like being in a giant snow globe. We get over 200 inches of snow a year.

We present have a foot or so on the ground. They don't really plow the snow, we just drive slowwwwwww.

peace,

david

dsmarion

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Welcome David from southeast Michigan. In the service I spent a year in Iwakuni, Japan (about 50 mi south of Hiroshima) and I can tell you we did not have that kind of snow there, hardly any at all really. But I did get a chance to vacation on the north coast of Japan in the summertime and it was really beautiful with crystal clear water and beaches nearly to ourselves. I remember that being a great time, not sure where we were exactly, we went with some Japanese friends.

Hope you find the site to your liking, lots here to keep you busy.

Scott

lueders

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Hello David, and welcome to Totally Guitars! I think you'll like it here. Great lessons, good folks, and Neil & the gang are the best!

I see that you are a fourth grade teacher. I teach K-12 Art in a small town in Illinois. maybe we can swap stories sometime.

Nice to make your acquaintance,

Cori :)

P.S. Damien Rice Fans of the world unite! :) :) :)

Music Junkie

Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:09 pm

Hey David. Welcome from southern California. So glad you decide to join. If you are trying to keep ahead of musically gifted children, this will help, but I have to say that kids learn awfully fast..... :laugh:

Never been to Japan, but have always wanted to go. Just watched a show the other night about some areas in Northern Japan. Such a beautiful place. If you are a strumming and singing kind of guy, make sure to check out the new thread on 3-4 chord songs. Lots of good info and lots of fun!

Cheers!

MJ

idavid

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:44 am

Thanks for the warm welcome. I live in Misawa which is towards the top of the main island. I spent a good portion of my youth in California, so this is different for sure.

Hey lueders, we should definitely swap stories sometime. Our school is on base and it is small town american, maybe back 40 years or so.

I am sure my kids will pass me, if they practice that is.

The beaches are odd here, always empty... even before the nuclear reactor problem.

peace,
david

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:54 pm

idavid wrote:
I have two musically gifted daughters that I am trying to keep ahead off...lol ...
Hi David, welcome ... you mention that your daughters have a natural talent, maybe you also have that ability (unless you gave it all to them) :P

Pierre
(Montreal, Canada)

idavid

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Our oldest is adopted, so I can't take any genetic credit. Our youngest is not adopted, so I can take a big of the bio-credit.
However, my wife and I meet in an African drumming class, so could have come form her.

BUT, I have made out house into a huge music emporium which helps in a big way. Piano, guitar, ukulele, and bongos in the living room.

More ukes down the hall and hand drums. Guitar and Ukes in the bedroom. A rack of Native American flutes in the other hallway.

And electric guitars and a bass in the closet. Once we move to a bigger place, Japan house are on the small side, I plan to get a drum set.

Oldest is playing the piano as I type. I still think there strengths are in vocals, just unreal.

I start strumming away and the both make up song on the spot.

The youngest was singing jingle bells until I couldn't take it anymore. She recently started singing, Beat on the Brat! too funny

peace,
david

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Ahhh, so LOTS of music in the family ... real good times ahead ! There are also ukulele lessons here on TG, by the way.
See you around sometime in the forum, David ?

Pierre

idavid

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:19 pm

How do I find the uke lesson?

cosmicmechanic

Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:25 pm

David, I was surprised that I had to do a bit of a search ... was not quite obvious :blink:

Try this link:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... stuff.html

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic