Hay guys...

stevem5000

Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:57 pm

Just joined...from St Louis, MO...
I'm prolly one of the older guys, 69...played a little in highschool, that was back in late 50's...how many of you were around then...????...!!!

Didn't mess with guitars much at all for the next 45 years or so...now getting ready to retire and I'll have the time
to get into it...

Been a little bit of a guitar collector, but never a player...

Started up again about 4 months ago...I LOVE flamenco, but listen mostly to classic rock and folk...as well as the other stuff...

Anyway...that's a bit about me...

tombo1230

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:15 pm

Ánd gals! ;)

Yes, there are only a couple of gals active on the forum, but we're here! :P

Hi Steve and welcome from the Netherlands!

Your story is similar to a lot of guys over here. Personally I'm one of the youngest and obviously not a guy, haha!

However, just wanna wish you a lot of fun getting into the world of actually pláying the guitar. Feel free to jump in the forums and participate in any way you want to.

all the best,

Vanessa

tovo

Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi Steve from Australia. I certainly wasn't around in the 50's but that's neither here nor there. We are around and that's what matters right!? I think it's cool that you are getting back into playing. I admire that attitude. Age is nothing.

Welcome aboard mate.

tombo1230

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi Steve and welcome from Scotland. It's never too late! Enjoy the site, plenty to do here. :)

Tom N.

Music Junkie

Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:35 pm

Steve:

Welcome from Ventura, CA. Glad you decided to get back into playing! You mentioned being a collector, so you could always join out group for G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome)...... :)

What guitars do you have?

Again, glad you decided to join and I look forward to hearing more from you!

Cheers,

MJ

stevem5000

Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Wow...!!!
From Scotland...Down Under...Land of Wooden Shoes...and Ventura Highway...!!!...Nice to hear from you...and so quickly...!!!

Ok...MJ asked about my guitars...so here goes...

76 Guild D50...
68 Alvarez classical...this was a wedding present from my bride...since I wasn't playing...our son used it about 25 years ago and
put steel strings on it...warped it...got some neck separation...to expensive to repair...but it sits on a guitar stand in the TV room
in front of everything...this is my #1 gal...for obvioius reasons... B)
00 Guild Bluesbird...
90's sometime Martin DCM...
90's again Martin DM12...this is really a nice 12 string for a low end Martin...
90's or so National Electro Resophonic...
00's Manual Rodriguez classical...this guitar was a mistake...I was actually looking for a flamenco guitar, cypress top...found this
on ebay...but didn;t ask enough questions...it is a very nice classical, and I've started struggling with Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring on it...
I will probably sell it this summer...
90's Alvarez acoustic bass...

I have an ongoing love affair with Guild...I think they are great guitars...went to a Dave van Ronk concert some years ago and he
plays a Guild F50, I believe...and I thought it was the sweetest sounding guitar I had ever heard...and my D50 is NO dissapointment...

I'm looking for a Guild F30R...late 70's or early 80's...but hard to find at a price I can justify...

That's about it...

So...your first question is prolly...WHY do I have these guitars and cannot play...Good question...
No time, building a business, kids, marriage and all that stuff that goes into a "life"...
But I have always considered a guitar to be a work of art...and I guess that's why...

So...what rigs to you guys have...????

lueders

Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Hello Steve-o, You sound like a cool fella and you definitely have a lot of nice guitars. ( I covet a few of those!!)

Anyways, welcome, welcome!! There lot of great folks and great lessons in this place.
Glad you found us and I hope you enjoy your stay!

Cori

Champaign-Urbana, IL

P.S. I have heard very good things about Guild acoustics. (A quality brand that many forget about, I believe.)

pbraun

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:28 am

Steve

Sam, I am! From Oklahoma--land of "Dust in the Wind"--literally! The dust Kansas sang about was blowin' in from Oklahoma. But, I digress.......

I own a Guild D-30 and I'm 65, so we have a couple of things in common. You may be the oldest on the forum!

I am working on "If You Could Read My Mind" and will post a new video tomorrow. Check it out if you have time.

Welcome and please dive right in. There are some really great guitarists on this forum and they love to help.

TwoCatSam

stevem5000

Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:42 am

Hay...thanx for all the heads up...!!!

'Preciate the welcome...
Right now just wandering around the wesbite trying to figure out what's where...

Peace...

dsmarion

Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:27 am

Hi Steve. Welcome from southeast Michigan (cold this morning brrr). Never too late to start enjoying all those guitars you have, nice collection. You can play a different one every day. Have fun around here, plenty of songs to work on.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic