Hello from a newbie in the UK!

little_guitar_girl

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:53 pm

Hello Everyone, I am Little_Guitar_Girl, I am an English amateur fantasy & science fiction artist and writer, in my late 20's, living in the UK. I would like to learn to play the guitar again after trying and then giving up some years ago. I have RSI in both my wrists, and found a full size guitar a little difficult for my left hand on the fretboard. I have recently been toying with the idea of getting either a half size, 3/4 size guitar, or a ukulele, as it might be easier on my hands? I would welcome any suggestions and advice anyone can offer me!

Many Thanks,

willem

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:08 pm

Hello Girl,,welcome from the Netherlands,,you arrived on the right place really,,its such a great community(you will see) and very supportive,,we have some great girls here on the forum and I am sure they gonna welcome you and help with good advice,,,well if a big guitar is to big,,take a litlle one that good sounds(advice will come from them who know),,go in the free lessons as you like(many up there) but T.A.R.G.E.T is the place to be,,

Don't be a stranger on the forum

WILLEM,,,BEAM ME OVER..lol

Music Junkie

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:26 pm

little_guitar_girl wrote:
Hello Everyone, I am Little_Guitar_Girl, I am an English amateur fantasy & science fiction artist and writer, in my late 20's, living in the UK. I would like to learn to play the guitar again after trying and then giving up some years ago. I have RSI in both my wrists, and found a full size guitar a little difficult for my left hand on the fretboard. I have recently been toying with the idea of getting either a half size, 3/4 size guitar, or a ukulele, as it might be easier on my hands? I would welcome any suggestions and advice anyone can offer me!

Many Thanks,
Welcome little_guitar_girl! This is a great place to get started if you want to learn to play this wonderful instrument. When you look at guitars, I would not really recommend going any less than a 3/4 scale, but ultimately, you have to go with what feels the best and sounds the best to YOU.... ;) I have a Baby Taylor that I use for backpacking in the high country, and it is great (a little too small for me to be truthful, but fits the backpack very nicely.. ;) )

BTW, I am a huge fan of Fantasy and Sci-Fi..... One of my all time favorites is James P Hogan. If you are not familiar with him, you should check out his stuff. Unfortunately, he passed recently..... :( My favorite novel of his is "Inherit the Stars"... wonderful read, along with Cradle of Saturn and Anguished Dawn. My son and I are reading Christopher Paolini's "Inheritance Cycle" novels currently, and we are enjoying them very much..... :)

Again, welcome and feel free to ask any other questions you might have, as there is a great community here....

Cheers,

MJ

dsmarion

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi little_guitar_girl. Welcome to TG! I can't give you any advice on the guitar size but I know whatever you choose you'll have fun here and will learn some songs. Glad to have you on board.

Scott

Chasplaya

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:43 pm

G'Day L-G-G, Good decision to check Totally Guitars out, I've been playing for a few years now and surfing the net for good sites and this has to be the best by far; great teacher in Neil, great community (except for neverfoundthetime aka Chris (just kidding)) majority are very helpful and supportive and a lot can be learned from the forums also.

Choice of guitars well very personal really what feels and sounds right to yourself is best advice and try out as many as you can, talk to the experts in the shops about your difficulties with RSI , I can relate to that nowadays! But I persevere with full size dreadnoughts.

Chas a Scot in New Zealand

RicksPick

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Hello and welcome to a fello Brit

There are lots of things to ease the strain on the wrists
From how you hold the guitar, string height/ action, nylon strings,
A well set up guitar can make it alot easier
What activity gave you the RSI?

RicksPick
Lincoln

dennisg

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi, LGG, and welcome from Seattle. One of the really good values in a small guitar (that sounds like a big guitar) is the Taylor GS Mini. In America it sells for $500 -- I expect it will be a bit more in the UK. But if you're in or near London, check out the Taylor dealers on Denmark Street off of Charing Cross Road. They'll likely have a GS Mini in stock. When I was looking for a guitar I could travel with, I played all the small guitars, and the GS Mini sounded the best -- by far. Enjoy the search.

sws626

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:04 pm

Welcome from Cambridgeshire, Little_Guitar_Girl. As Dennis and others have mentioned, there are lots of great smaller guitars on the market these days.

-Stuart

michelew

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:37 am

A big hi and welcome to TG from Sydney LGG! It's great to have you aboard. What a cute avatar.

Well you sure have come to the right place to learn guitar. Neil is a guru, what he doesn't know...well it can't be much and well most mere morals can't absorb that much information without their heads exploding; perhaps he's head is really a Tardis. That's it finally an explanation. Of course he might just be an alien, a very sweet one who's crazy about the guitar and loves teaching. Well you'll just have to stick around to solve the mystery.

Then there's the fantastic TG Community. Ask anything and the community will use its collective resources to help answer it. And we have our very own superhero. Well we still haven't found a suitable name for he; Banjo van Nessa, the Heart-string assailant, ... Well some of us just call her Elvis... Perhaps you can help us there.

It would be great to see your illustrations, and your writing. It would be fabulous to hear more about your writing. I love David Brin's work "Earth" especially, lots of fantasy, Tolkien of course, Fiest "Magician", Paolini. It's cool having another writer in the community.

Better still it would be fantastic to hear you play. Post a video as soon as you can.

It's a shame that you have RSI. Others here have hand and wrist issues, I'm sure they'll continue to share their experiences with you. Take a listen to Michelle Kiba "the Ukulele Lady"'s intview. She is a guitarist who took up the ukulele due to wrist problems like yours.

I'd love to hear more about you and see you play. Have fun and see you around the forum.

Michele

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:07 am

Welcome Guitar Girl, you have already had loads of good advice so I'll just welcome you to the forum from a very cold Switzerland!
Chris

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic