wiley

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:21 pm

Hello, fellow players.

I'm back at the guitar, for 3.5 years, after many years away from it. Had a guitar and lessons when I was a kid and off an on since but never really stuck with it too long.

Now, though I have a Martin HD28 and the thing has got a hold on me. They didn't have the Internet and instruction DVDs when I was kid. I'm taking advantage of those resources now. I started this go-round with the Esteban 2 DVD set for beginners. He is definitely inspiring but when the techniques he teaches require more explanation from him, he just says "Your're gonna hafta 'scroll back'." I'd like to tell him to scroll back this! But, actually I owe the guy for inspiring me to get as far as I have with his 'way'.

Right now, I have short list of songs and pieces I want to own. Right now I'm working on Pearl Jam's "Elderly woman behind the counter in a small town". I've got the non-stop loud strumming down fairly well but I loath playing it like that. Just seems wrong. I want to play it like Eddie Vedder plays it here.

I seriously doubt Vedder would ever back his voice with loud fast strumming on an acoustic solo. I know for me, it tends to drown out my voice. He leaves that for the other guitar player in his band. In other clips I've seen he just hangs out with his electric and adds some grace notes. But I guess people listen to the CD and hear that fast acoustic strumming and figure that it should go into their own acoustic solo rendition. In my humble opinion that severely interferes with the beauty of the song.

I point to the above clip and rest my case. I' need some help on how to do it that way. I see there are 6 votes for the song in 'requests'. I don't know how many ti takes to get a requested turned into a lesson but I dearly hope that if it is done, it'll be like Vedder plays it in the above link.

The other songs I want are: "Trouble" as done by Vedder in the sound track to "Dead Man Walking" which I've heard uses different chords than Cat Stevens and in Vedder's version the guitar is tuned down a whole step.

Also want Greensleeves like Jeff Beck plays it on "Truth" I already have Esteban's version which is the basic version.

The site already has Sting's Fields of Gold (and Eva Cassidy's version. I'm grateful for that.

Is there anyone in Fort Lauderdale around here?

Thanks

wade

dennisg

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi Wade,

And greetings from the extreme opposite corner of the country. Everything you'll ever want to accomplish on the guitar is right here on this site -- explained clearly, patiently, and thoroughly by Neil Hogan. Take advantage of it.

- Dennis (in Seattle)

dekotaj

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:43 pm

Wade:Wishing you the best with your playing.From northern Illinois.

Your on a great site.

Kevin

Music Junkie

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:02 pm

Wade:

Welcome from Southern California (Ventura). Glad you found the site and are getting back into guitar. My boss bought the Estaban kit as well, but it still sits in the corner of his house collecting dust.... :laugh:

Love that you have some specific songs in mind already. The lessons here will certainly get you there. Love that version of Eddie doing that song. I like all of his stuff from "Into the Wild" as well. "Hard Sun", "Tuolome" and "Society" are all fun to play and sound great.

Awesome intro, and I hope you have some fun!

Hopefully we will hear from you in the forum now.... B)

Cheers,

MJ

dsmarion

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Wade,

Welcome from southeast Michigan. Plenty of us here found this site after years of not playing and then getting back into it just like you have. Have fun on your journey.

Scott

BigBear

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:08 am

Hi Wade and welcome from the Netherlands!

Have fun around here! :)

cheers

Vanessa

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic