Hello from Michigan

kdnate

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:25 pm

Hello All,

I'm a late starter, but, better late than never. I'm 59 years young and have been teaching myself to play the acoustic guitar for the last 2.5 years...I had never picked up a guitar before that. I've taken one lesson locally and thought it was a huge waste of time and very expensive...obviously I had the wrong teacher. I wouldn't mind paying for lessons but I'm not sure what I should learn and I can't afford to throw money away. I've developed some good calluses on my fingertips so it doesn't hurt to play anymore. I don't read music but I can play several songs by looking at the tablature. I'd say my biggest problems are with switching between chords quickly, strumming and playing things other than chords (single string runs). I guess most of that comes with practice and experience...I do play everyday and I am improving...just not fast enough for my liking. So, I found this site and I'm thinking about lessons but really don't know where to start.

Great meeting you all, and thanks for reading my intro...

Ken

BobR

Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi Ken,

Welcome, I am 59 years young as well :laugh: You couldn't have found a better place to come and learn. There is so much here you'll never run out. The teaching is the best and you won't find a better community of members.
Everyone here is so helpful and friendly.

I'd consider joining the Target Program if you can swing it

Bob

from Massachusetts

Lavallee

Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Hi Ken , welcome from Montreal Canada. I cannot read music and use tbs as well. You might want to understand the rhythm given by the standard notation as it helps the learning process. You will certainly have a good time here. Neil is the best, have fun with the lessons and the forum.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic