total adult newbie

wavedancer17

Thu May 10, 2012 3:40 pm

hi all. I'm Merry.
I picked up guitar when i was in the 10th grade but put it down due to someone elses opinion(another teenager).
Now that I'm an adult, I bought a baby Taylor with my income tax refund and have been lightly practicing chords and such. I found this website and fell in love with it.
I've been working on America's Horse with No Name and am having difficulty getting the strum pattern down.
I have tons of questions and hope someone can help me.
I cannot afford lessons at this time so its kind of a struggle.

I know i have an awesome ear for music -- I hear it when its not right, wrong key, word, string, pitch etc.
Used to play piano when i was very young.

Hope some of you guys can help a girl become a decent guitar player if not awesome.

Merry

tovo

Thu May 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Hey Merry and welcome from South Australia. There are plenty of people here who can help your playing and all you need to do is put your questions to the collective forum.

Nice choice of guitar as well.

sbutler

Thu May 10, 2012 4:54 pm

Welcome (from Alaska) to the site Merry. Your reaction of love at first sight, is normal around here. Most of us felt the same way. There are a lot of very gifted and knowledgeable musicians around, but being able to pass that knowledge on to others takes a true gift. Neil really shines there.

So get what you can from the free lesson, and by all means, don't be shy about asking questions on the forum. Someone will surely come along and help out.

Scott

sbutler

Thu May 10, 2012 5:02 pm

Merry, I just went to that lesson (Horse with no Name) and you should focus on the 4 minute mark. That's the point were Neil explains "Swing time". That would be the strumming Style that you would use to make this song recognizable.

Scott

Lavallee

Thu May 10, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi Merry welcome from Montreal Canada, you will always find help on this site . Scott already gave you a good pointer. Let us know if it was helpful.

Marc

Music Junkie

Thu May 10, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi Merry, welcome from Southern California. Glad you decided to pick the guitar up again, and congrats on a great little buy. I own a Baby Taylor myself and love to play it often.

This is a wonderful place to learn, so start asking thos questions....lol

MJ

jim56

Fri May 11, 2012 5:17 am

Hi Merry and welcome from the Netherlands!

I have to agree, you've come to the right place. Have fun around here and indeed fire away! ;)

cheers

Vanessa

dennisg

Fri May 11, 2012 8:55 am

A big welcome from Seattle, Merry. Have a great time, but just know that the fun really starts when you become a Target member.

gavind1

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:26 am

Hi. Can someone please post a link regarding the benefits of a target member? I'm looking for other benefits on top of lessons.

familyman4

Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:18 pm

I am fairly new to the Targat Program also. I will suggest that you click on the "what is target" or "Join target" headers on the left hand side of the page. That explains the target program and what all you get with or w/o membership.

Be warned, this is an adictive site because of all the great people that particpate in the conversations....

Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic