Introducing Myself

kb58

Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Hello Everyone,

My name is Ken and I'm from NH. I'm here trying to plug some holes in my guitar playing. I'm interested in learning more theory as well as learning how to finger pick. While stumbling around here I also found a ton of songs I want to learn. Looks like this place has something for everyone. I've done a couple of free lessons and really enjoy Neil's teaching style. Now I just have to figure out which Target level to jump in at.
My guitars right now are a Martin D-18 and a Taylor GA4. Thanks for having me.

dtaylor

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi Ken,
I've been here from the early days and can honestly say the best decision I made was to jump in with the full program, there's endless knowledge and skills to be gained here, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Have fun,
Dean

dennisg

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:06 pm

A big welcome from Seattle, Ken. There's enough material on this site for a lifetime of fun and learning, so enjoy yourself. You've got a couple of very nice guitars to keep you busy.

One small thing: this is an international site, with thousands of members scattered all over the world. Lots of people don't have a clue that NH stands for New Hampshire, so we try to avoid regional abbreviations.

familyman4

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:07 pm

Welcome Ken, from the sunny (and extremely hot) state of Arizona! I would like to pass on a bit of friendly advice if you don't mind... Go ahead and join the Target Program for the full year if you can and you will receive the full benefit of this wonderful site. I have only been a member for a couple of months but really enjoy spending time and energy with this group and am confident that I will continue my membership for many years to come.

Also, Neil does a really nice job of explaining theory with almost all of his lessons. This sounds like it will be right up your alley. And there are many, many great songs to learn. It can almost put you into overload. But that's a good thing. :)

My only caution is that you can get addicted to the forum and busking sites and that will take you away from practice time. But it is a lot of fun around here so jump in with both feet, make yourself a part of the TG family and have a blast!

BTW, nice guitars!!!

I look forward to seeing you on line as time goes on...

Bart

Lavallee

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi Ken , welcome to Tg from Montreal Canada (almost neighbor!). As the others have said there is so much to learn from all the songs on the site but mainly from Neil is how to make them sound good with the proper techniques. He knows his stuff. Besides the Acoustic genius section in the Target program covering theory, many members are quite verse with theory. So if you ask a question someone will come forward with an answer. You also have a the possibility to upload a video of you playing one of the lesson from the Target program and Neil might give a review of it.

Looking forward to hear from you ( and your guitars)

Marc

michelew

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Hey Ken!

A big 'HI' from Sydney where it's suppose to be winter (OK the Goddess has remembered that today and it's 13oC (55oF) and threatening to rain, but it has been 20oC (70oF) and sunny blue skies, she is mischieveous)

Well my fellow TG Forum regulars sure sound like they get a commission with each new member they recruit don't they. :) :P Actually, it's just that TG really is a great place to learn and the lolly store that is the song-lesson library is just a part of the fun. Neil is a genius, a teacher amongst teachers; if he can't explain something then...well it's probably not worth doing. :) The community is fun and full of people who will jump in and offer advice if you need a hand (most of it fabulous :P ) regardless of how vague and/or crazy your question is (believe me I've started some down-right ridiculous threads). Some of the features that I think you'll find hard to get elsewhere (beside Neil) is the ability to upload yourself playing and receive support, encouragement and advice. The advice from community members alone is awesome. But, if you join Target, you'll have a chance of getting feedback from Neil himself and that will blow your mind. He's got great eyes and ears for the things you need to work on to improve your song and make you a better player in general.

Did you know you can check out TARGET for a month? If you're not getting the value you're looking for then you can revert to purchasing a lesson at a time. The danger either way... you're sure to find that at some point you'll be sitting at work being distracted with the thought that you could be at home learning some song you've wanted to learn for ages.

Enjoy filling those gaps. I hope we see you playing one of your sweet beauties really soon. You can upload to the busking threads for example.

Great to meet you.

Michele

BobR

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:39 pm

Hi Ken,

Welcome from Massachusetts , Like Dennis said we need to spell it out for the World Wide Community :laugh: . If you're considering the Target program you won't be disappointed. I've been here from the beginning and I can tell you it is a great place to learn and meet wonderful people sharing the same interests.

Enjoy,

Bob

Nice guitars BTW

tombo1230

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:19 am

dennisg wrote:
One small thing: this is an international site, with thousands of members scattered all over the world. Lots of people don't have a clue that NH stands for New Hampshire, so we try to avoid regional abbreviations.
Spot on Dennis, I had no idea where NH was. :)

Hi Ken, from rainy Scotland. We're having a lousy summer. I blame Shel as she has obviously nicked our weather. :P

Have a good time on the site. Warning! There is a ton of lessons here and if you work hard you will improve your playing no end. :) New lessons/songs/Fly on the walls appear, regular as clockwork.

Enjoy!

Tom N.

michelew

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:09 am

tombo1230 wrote:
dennisg wrote:

Hi Ken, from rainy Scotland. We're having a lousy summer. I blame Shel as she has obviously nicked our weather. :P

Enjoy!

Tom N.
We nicked nothin'... B) :P It's generally beautiful here this time of yesr. The Goddess is just trying to make it up to us as normal for sending us to the bottom of the planet, so far from the rest of you. There's got to be some perks right? Blue skies smiling at me..... Oh and whales in the Harbour. Did I mention beautiful waters.. ? :) :P :)

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:50 am

Hi KB welcome to TG. Its OK you can say you're from NH, we have good school atlases out side the US!
My advice, join TARGET now and think later... faster results!
Greetings from Chris in Swiss

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic