intro

morse

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:08 pm

My name is Herb Johnston. Just typed long message that got cancelled accidentally. Looking or hoping for help on "dock of the bay",by Otis Redding. I have chords,looking 4 playing /strumming,etc,technique. I am on unemployment,they are trying to take that away,also filing for state disability,(which takes a year or more..) Can't buy anything right now. Have "practice" group on Sundays. Leader is advanced,others are close to that . I am still newbie due to usual setbacks...life.. Thanks for any help. please respond to my E mail if you care to..till I get the hang of navigating this website. Thank you very much..HJ

dennisg

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi Herb,

And welcome from Seattle. Dock of the Bay is a great song, by one of my all-time favorite singers. In fact, I like Otis Redding so much, I posted one of his songs (I've Been Loving You Too Long) in this forum. I hope you can sort out your unemployment compensation and disability.

How long have you been playing? What kind of guitar(s) do you have?

One suggestion: go back in to your post (click on the Edit button) and delete your email address. If folks here want to contact you, they can send you a private message through this site. But if you leave your email address in your post, there is software that nefarious people use to capture addresses in order to send you spam.

- Dennis

familyman4

Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Welcome Herb, from Arizona.

I wish you all the best of luck with your personal situation and with your guitar playing!

Dennis did you a "solid" with the advise about the email address. That is excellent advise....

No doubt you will enjoy this site. There is much to learn and a lot that is available in the free area's to get you going....

God Bless you and again, best of luck!

Bart

BigBear

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Herb- Big welcome to TG from Portland, Oregon, just down I-5 from Dennis. Man, did you hit a home run finding this website. It is the greatest guitar resource I've ever found and every day I learn something new and exciting.

I've been unemployed for 2-1/2 years so I know what you are going through. I've never experienced anything like this and there are no signs it will get any better soon (I'm in building construction and engineering). So Totally Guitars is my link to sanity and my Great Escape. I hope you find it a place to disappear for awhile too. Where do you live?

Dock of the Bay is probably one of the most requested songs for a new lesson. I have to believe it's coming soon. But you may have to become a TARGET member to get it. I gave up my daily newspaper subscription just so I can afford the TARGET program. That's how good it is!!

Stay on this forum, ask questions, do a video showing what you're struggling with and you will be very surprised how gracious all these people are to help. This is a very international site and many of my best friends are in Australia, Holland, Switzerland, New Zealand, Israel and the UK. It is simply amazing what they all mean to this site so stay connected and best of luck with that song.

We're happy you joined us and Happy Playin'!!

Cheers! :cheer:

Lavallee

Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:11 am

Hi Herb, welcome to TG from Montreal Canada. Sorry to hear about your challenges. You will have a least the chance to visit the site and learn a bunch of songs even if Dock on the bay does not show up right away. You can visit the forum any time for any question, lots of knowledgeable people will come forward to help.

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:40 am

Welcome Herb, you are in the right place hear for sure... not only a brilliant teaching website but also a sportive community so you can take the weight of a bit. HAve fun and see you around the forums.
Chris in Swiss

tovo

Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:32 am

Welcome aboard Herb. Sorry to hear of your troubles, but hopefully you get some pleasure from the site.

tombo1230

Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi Herb, welcome from Scotland. I hope things improve for you soon on a personal basis.

As everyone has said, this is a great site. If things improve for you, then the Target programme has it all and is the way to go.

The community is great and very helpful so I expect someone will come forward to help you if they can.

Good luck with your playing! :)

Tom N.

willem

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:13 pm

Hey Herb,,,welcome from Holland(europe) I was in dept for six years and it was a hard time,,well for the first 3 years but after discovering this site the other three years flew over and the only thing(well not only thing) I was going for was to pay my target subscription here too,,,I think you can learn that song on the net anywhere but i Love to learn it here our teacher has such a great view on things and its not only learning that song but I bet there is a skill involved,,

Goodluck on life,,,

Willem

peleus

Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Welcome buddy. Have fun and share your knowledge. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic