Hello

tslusher21

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:01 am

Hi Everyone,

I've been with the site a couple weeks now, just kept forgetting to come on here and give my little introduction. I just bought my first guitar and started learning to play about a month ago. I'm looking into taking private lessons, but they're pretty expensive and I ended up finding this site (Neil is great!). I'm probably gonna stay on the membership for a while (at least until I can play more/most of those songs comfortably), but I was wondering if anyone on the TARGET program could give me some insight on that. Is it a decent substitute for private lessons? I'm sure there is some individual stuff that can go overlooked when doing stuff online sometimes, and I'd like to keep progressing a quick rate. I'm currently working on John Prine's "Clay Pigeons" cover, but getting stuck on some of the chord switches, so I may request that soon. Anyway, I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time here.

Tom

willem

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:42 am

Hi,,Welcome from THE Netherlands,,,it sure is a decent substitute for private lesson,,its not only the lessons given by a teacher that has the real teaching blood but also the very supportive community and always willing to help you..I had private lessons and they were good but it was to expensive for me and like you I came across this site and it was all from the first lesson released here,,well I can say there was realy not one lesson,,only some introduction stuff on what they wanna make from the site and like many other members you could smell that it was gooooooood and still is,,there is so many involved in the TARGET lessons ,,very detailed with many video's breakdowns,,righthand,,lefthand,,theory,,play along, tab,etc etc...

I suggest to sign up for a month you can alway's unscribe but I'm sure you would'nt do that after you taste it,,,and if you sign up just ask here on the forum and the community will lead you thru this huge libriary...and maybe can be your guide were to start has a beginner or sort of..

Willem

EDIT: Its not life private lessons,,but if you watch the video/lessons you get the feel it is,,he looked you right in the eyes,, :laugh: B)

sbutler

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:57 am

Welcome Tom. In my opinion, this is the best on line guitar learning source you could ever find. No its not private lessons, but the instructor is probably classified in elite world of instructors. You'll get more knowledge from Neil on line, than most instructors face to face. Plus, you can always record yourself working on a song, submit it to the site, and there is a strong likely hood, that Neil will review your video, and give you tips if needed. That's a private lesson.

Scott

familyman4

Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Hello Tom, and welcome the the TG site!

My advise will mostly be the same as a lot of people that take advantage of this wonderful TG resource. This TG site is absolutely wonderful!

However, if you are a true beginner, my opinion is that you will progress quicker with a year or so of private lessons. The hardest thing about learning a new instrument is that you need to learn how to learn, learn how to practice & be patient about not learning complete songs on day 1. There are many practice habits that a private instructor will teach you and will make sure that you have down solid before moving on to the next practice level. This could include playing with a metronome, scales, finger excercises, reading tabs, reading regular music, how to hold your instrument, what type of instrument fits your desired music, etc.etc etc.

All of this being said, the catch 22 is that if you don't have a really experianced private teacher, you will not gain the experiance that I outlined above anyway.

So, my advise is:

A ) Find a really good private teacher and work really hard for a year or so. But also,,,
B ) Continue coming to the TG free site for a while & join the target program when you work it into your budget. Then you would have the best of both worlds.

Just like building a house, you must have a solid foundation for a lifetime of fun and enjoyment with guitar.

For what it's worth....
Bart

sbutler

Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:26 pm

tslusher21 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I've been with the site a couple weeks now, just kept forgetting to come on here and give my little introduction. I just bought my first guitar and started learning to play about a month ago. I'm looking into taking private lessons, but they're pretty expensive and I ended up finding this site (Neil is great!). I'm probably gonna stay on the membership for a while (at least until I can play more/most of those songs comfortably), but I was wondering if anyone on the TARGET program could give me some insight on that. Is it a decent substitute for private lessons? I'm sure there is some individual stuff that can go overlooked when doing stuff online sometimes, and I'd like to keep progressing a quick rate. I'm currently working on John Prine's "Clay Pigeons" cover, but getting stuck on some of the chord switches, so I may request that soon. Anyway, I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time here.

Tom
message #2. Tom it just occurred to me to mention here, that Neil really doesn't teach songs, as much as he teaches techniques within songs. Some people get discouraged by that, and when you look at the lesson list, and see 700 songs, its hard to believe what I'm saying as truth. But when you get a pretty good handle on the techniques within those songs that Neil teaches, then learning that song, or others gets easier.
Scott

peleus

Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:40 pm

Welcome Tom. Enjoy the clips and experience here.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic