New Target Member

tacticaltal

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanks for all the warm welcoming. It's good to see players from all over the world.

I've taken a look at the Acoustic Genius Series, and after 30 years on my own, I'm learning stuff there (like counting- I never learned TAB until recently - I always played by ear) I still don't know what makes a measure, but after I go back to the AGS a few times, I'm sure I'll get it. It's amazing what we think we know until we hear from others. Thanks Neil!

Let's see, one commentor wanted to know what kind of Country. Well, I've just recently taken an ineterest in fingerpicking (Chet Atkins, Tommy Emmanuel style). I don't think I'll live long enough to be 1/4 as good as Tommy, but I'm into learning some of his songs, i.e. Angelina. Roy Clark, is, IMO, one of the best ever, and most UNDERRATED, and I like to play lots of his songs.

I've found a new interest in the guitar: Harmonics. I had never known of such a thing. See, I've been content with playing rhythm and flat-picking around chords all my life, and since I never was involved with a band, or played with many folk, I just bever realized how much there is to the guitar. I seen Tommy E. make it sound like a fiddle once, and I thought..., well, I just couldn't believe it.

So anyway (I could write all night), I think I'm interested to learn as much as I can while picking up a few songs I'm interested in along the way. The theory sparks a big interest in me.

To summarize my likes, I'd say:
Country
Pop
Bues

and, in order of favorite intrumentalists (hope I don't offend anyone):

Roy Clark
Chet Atkins
Tommy Emmanuel
Eric Clapton
Jimmy Buffet

Groups: (singing, voice)
Statler Brothers
Eagles
BEE GEES

AND, GO COLTS!!! :cheer:

Keep the comments coming, guys.

willem

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:22 am

Not a comment but a question,,,you said ''I still don't know what makes a measer'',,were you making a sort of a joke or just a saying..??

Well the signs at the front of the musicsheet or tab tells you a lot,,,the key its in,and what to count in a measer,,for example 4/4,,it says 4 beats in a measer and 1/4(quarter) is one beat..

Willem

BigBear

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Tac- Big welcome from Portland, Oregon. You should fit in here with the rest of old farts just fine. There is so much great stuff in the TARGET program that I doubt I could learn half of it in two lifetimes. It's an embarrassment of riches. So you have to sift through and find all the stuff that you want to learn and then cull it down to something reasonable. And it will still be too much.

I started another three ring binder of just the songs I wanted to learn and now it's a 4" binder! So have fun, stay connected to this forum and tell us how you're doing.

Good luck and Happy Playin'

Cheers! :cheer:

tacticaltal

Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:46 pm

willem wrote:
Not a comment but a question,,,you said ''I still don't know what makes a measer'',,were you making a sort of a joke or just a saying..??

Well the signs at the front of the musicsheet or tab tells you a lot,,,the key its in,and what to count in a measer,,for example 4/4,,it says 4 beats in a measer and 1/4(quarter) is one beat..

Willem
Hi Willem. What I meant was that I've just recently been learning to read tab, and sheet music, and since I've never bothered reading it, or being a student of music theory, I didn't know what, or "how long" a 'measure' was.

It's all something I'll dive into.

Thanks for the question.

michelew

Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:57 am

Hey tac (tal?),

Hi from Sunny Sydney. From what I've read so far you'll be right at home on TG. There's so much on offer here, it's all a matter of spending the time and immersing yourself in the experience. That includes posting videos if you're up for it. The more you do the better really.

This is a supportive forum, you won't find a better one for getting the info you're looking for and keeping you motivated. The support here is amazing. You'll see what I mean as soon as you post a video or ask about something you're struggling with.

It's really nice to see that you've jumped into participating in the forum.

See you around.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Michele

haoli25

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi Terry. Welcome to TG, I think you are going to like it here. It is good to have you with us. Put on some new strings and have some fun.

Bill

tacticaltal

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:24 pm

Michele and Bill, thank you for the welcome.

New Strings, YES, I need new strings. I just bought some Elixirs 2 months ago, and they're wearing out.

mithcd

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:42 pm

Welcome. A little bit of theory would help. Fundamentals are really the building blocks of a good player.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic