Hello from Seattle, Washington

kevin0964

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:20 am

Well, after hammering out a few of the free songs from youtube, I decided to join the site. I'm in my early forties and have some history in music. I played french horn and bellfront horn in junior high and high school. When i was about 10, my mom bought me a guitar and put me in group lessons. I didn't get any of it, hated it and dropped it after a month. I didn't pick up a guitar again until college. I had a roommate that was learning and he taught me some chords. I took a quarter of classical guitar and enjoyed it, but didn't have the time to work on it more. Now twenty years later, I have a little more time and have started up again.

I enjoy fingerpicking and am lousy at strumming, but have vowed to learn it, LOL. My 10 yr old son plays Uke, so I was excited to see a section of lessons for Uke as well. He strums 100 times better than me :(. we really enjoy playing together, so it has become a nice thing for us to learn new things together. So far the lessons have been great and I enjoy the fact that Neil posts songs, but also adds things to help you improve something in most of them. Looking forward to learning from ya'll.

~k

RicksPick

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:41 am

Hello Kevin
Welcome from England UK
Im sure you will be strumming up a storm soon

RicksPick

coomba

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:49 am

G'day Kevin
From a very warm Australia.
Welcome to TG
Neils got some great lessons here to help you with your strumming ,so you will do fine.
Enjoy
Cheers Scott

willem

Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:20 am

Hello and welcome from Holland..

Joining TARGET is the best thing to do with all his detailed lessons,,we should watch each lesson 'cos every song/lesson add something to your skills,if a lesson is released I always watch it to see what Neil want us to learn,,I am also a huge fan of the ''fly on the walls'' 'cos many of them are a bonus to some lessons..

goodluck on your yourney and hope you have a lot of fun with your son playing together..

Willem

tovo

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:09 am

Hi Kevin from Adelaide, Australia. I've been lucky enough to visit your lovely City and really enjoyed it, although that was due as much to the company as the location. Also, I managed to avoid your famous 'bleak' weather.

Spend some time on this site and your playing will almost certainly improve significantly and you will be able to enjoy playing with your son even more.

Good luck with your goals.

Lavallee

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:26 am

Hi Kevin, welcome from Montreal to the Target program. There is enough stuff here to keep you busy for a few weeks, that is for sure.

Be nicer to see a video of you and your son playing together

Strum away

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:34 am

Welcome and greetings from Switzerland Kevin ... have fun here!
Chris

dennisg

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:43 am

Thanks for the intro Kevin and great to have you aboard! :)

Well you can't miss when joining Target, enough to keep you happy/busy for a loooooooooong time! :P

Indeed, would be great to see a video of you and your son. We have a very supportive and friendly community here, so by all means, use it for feedback. Also if you have any questions or answers or advice/feedback yourself, fire away! :)

Have fun and cheers from the Netherlands!

Vanessa

dennisg

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:30 am

Greetings from the Magnolia neighborhood in Seattle, Kevin. Have a great time on the site, and maybe I'll run into you at Dusty Strings some day.

- dennis

Hydroman52

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:33 am

Kevin,

Welcome from mid-Wisconsin. I agree with the previous posts. As Willem pointed out, you may want to watch many of the lessons for songs that you may not particularly be interested in learning. Most include techniques or bits of theory that you can carry forward in learning other songs.

When I first joined the site, I watched all the beginners lessons even though I had been playing guitar for quite a number of years. In that way, I was able to correct some of the bad habits with basic techniques that I had learned by trial and error. I still have some bad habits; some I may keep for nostalgic reasons.

Don't miss the Fly On The Wall series, too. Now that you are a Target member, you'll have full access. It's like sitting in on a one-on-one lesson.

So, welcome again and post a video when you get a chance.

Hydroman52

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic