Hello From Maine

tacticaltal

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 am

Hi Villisca, welcome from Southern Indiana.

Unfortunately, I didn't find any lessons here for Hallalujah, but that doesn't mean Neil won't put one together for us; it's a very nice song. However, even if there isn't a lesson on a particular song you need help on, others here are very willing to, and VERY capable of, assist(ing).

Where are you at right now in your ability?

I know that a lot of beginners want to jump right in and learn their favorite songs, and I'm not totally against that idea, but it's an unpleasant fact that you have to know the very basics first. If this doesn't apply to you, and you already know how to play, then please accept my apology. Perhaps you could upload a video of you playing something that you already know.

We're a great community, so welcome aboard. You'll have lots of fun.

~terry

michelew

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:23 am

A big HI from Sydney.

You've landed exactly where you need to be to start youself on your guitar learning journey. Neil is a teacher's teacher, what he doesn't know just isn't that important.

I've found that the best way to keep motivated is to participate as much as you can; record yourself playing and post it on the forum regularly, participate in the forum, ask questions, be inspired by the videos of all the great people in the community.

Record yourself playing even if you don't upload it to share, it's a great record of your progress. If you do that you'll be able to look back in a a few short weeks, months... and you'll be able to see just how much you've improved.

I look forward to seeing you around the community.

Have fun.

Michele

suziko

Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:57 am

Of course we have Hallelujah in the Target-program Terry! ;)

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... cohen.html

tacticaltal wrote:

Unfortunately, I didn't find any lessons here for Hallalujah,

~terry

tacticaltal

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:08 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Of course we have Hallelujah in the Target-program Terry! ;)

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... cohen.html

tacticaltal wrote:

Unfortunately, I didn't find any lessons here for Hallalujah,

~terry
Gosh! One of these days, I'll be right. I'm gonna blame it on the spelling: that's my story! :D

Thanks Ness.

villisca

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Actually right now I have next to no ability on the guitar but I am going through the free lessons and doing the drills alot so hopefully with a ton of practice ill be playing songs soon. But in the meantime Im still having a bunch of fun just messing around with it and learning some of the sounds it makes.
And I want to thank everyone for their welcomes. It just seems a very frendly place here and I don't feel like an idiot cause Im not an expert :S So thanks big time for that :)

willem

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi welcome from the Netherlands as well..this is a great site,,you will playing in no time Hallelujah and after that ''the house of the rising sun'',then you will nail ''blackbird'' and get your thumb going..which chords can you allready play?? and pick them out ..

Willem

auntlynnie

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Welcome Villisca,
I think we have all had similar experiences with buying a guitar how-to video and it was just a total waste of money.
This site, and Neil's lessons, are the polar opposite. He does an excellent job explaining technique and all aspects of the music.
Stick with it and you will get so much out of TG.
Lynn

tombo1230

Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:44 pm

villisca wrote:
Actually right now I have next to no ability on the guitar but I am going through the free lessons and doing the drills alot so hopefully with a ton of practice ill be playing songs soon. But in the meantime Im still having a bunch of fun just messing around with it and learning some of the sounds it makes.
And I want to thank everyone for their welcomes. It just seems a very frendly place here and I don't feel like an idiot cause Im not an expert :S So thanks big time for that :)
Hi villisca,
you are doing the right thing, which is learning the basics and forming good habits from Neils free lessons, this will stand you in good stead for the rest of your playing life. Solid foundations are so important.

Think of this.......every guitarist alive, or dead for that matter was at the stage you are at now and with a lot of practice and some hard work, who knows where your playing ability will end up?
so no need to feel like an idiot. There are a lot of good guitarists who are members here, who started playing guitar three years ago for the first time and their improvement has been pretty marked indeed!

Stick at it, practice hard, one step at a time and you will get there, that's a fact!

Good luck and remember, the guitar is a fun instrument, enjoy it. :)

Tom N.

michelew

Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:03 am

villisca wrote:
Hey Villisca,

Only a REAL idiot would treat you like an idiot for not being an expert at something you've just started to learn. We're all learning here, even the amazingly skilled and talented players and performers amongst us are learning how to improve their playing and learning ways of increasing their playing arsenal. TG is a safe place to come to terms with this wonderful instrument of pleasure, frustrations, and at times ... ouch! ...pain. Use that to your advantage; ask questions, post your observations, post your progress, get praise for your hard work, share how ever you want to and get inspired by what others are doing.

Don't be afraid to post a video showing where you're up to and/or anything you're having problems with. We'd love to see you making those sounds that you're discovering.

Shel

dekotaj

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:47 am

Miss Villisca.

Hello for Illinois.Bravo on giving it a second shoot.You found a great teacher and a great site to give it a go.

Best of luck on your playing!!!

Kevin

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic