Hello From Maine

villisca

Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:57 pm

Hey :) This is my second attempt at learning the guitar. My first was years ago and i had bought a guitar out of a box where I worked and a video that was supposed to help teach how to play. I rushed home and threw in the video sat down with my guitar and waited for the first lesson. The guy on the video said to play this rift (????) and played this thing I cant even begin to discribe. I sat there with my chin on my knees (I was in shock) got up put the guitar down and turned off the video. I sold the guitar and threw the video away. So with that behind me I am thrilled to find this site and already after one day I am ahead of my last attempt.

RicksPick

Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:03 pm

Hi Villisca

Welcome to TG
And congrats on finding the best Guitar site on the net with the most outstanding teacher
you will soon progress here with a little dedication
So jump in and have fun

Welcome from the UK

RicksPick

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi Villisca and welcome to TG!

I agree with Rick, you've definitely come to the right place! The best teacher, a ton of lessons and an active and very supportive community (no youtube-attitudes here!)

After you're done with the free lessons, check out Target, it's the best guitarlessonsdeal I've ever seen on the net. Very detailed lessons in there and like I already mentioned, a tón of info which will keep you satisfied for many years to come! :cheer:

And don't be shy, upload of video of your playing and progress, all you get is support and encouraging feedback. :)

Have fun and happy playing!

cheers from snowy Holland! :blink:

Vanessa

dennisg

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi Villisca,

And welcome from sunny Seattle on the opposite side of America. I spent in your fair state doing a bike ride on Acadia Island -- a gorgeous place that provided very interesting cycling.

This is the place to learn how to play guitar, and the Target program is the best deal on the internet. For the price of a half-hour in-person lesson, you get access to almost 500 songs, music theory lessons, and personalized feedback when you post a video (which I highly encourage). Vanessa (in Holland) mentioned that there are no YouTube attitudes here, and she's exactly right. We may point out areas that you might want to work on, but we'll always do it in a way that's encouraging and supportive.

So, what kind of music do you hope to play? What kind of guitar are you using now?

- dennis

tvarga

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Welcome Villisca, from quite nearby ... about 30 minutes north of Boston.
I've been a TG member since the beginning. Has it been 3 years? :)
Anyway, it's a great place to learn.
I believe that I've come a long, long way and have really enjoyed the journey.
Good luck and as others suggested, upload some videos and look forward to the feedback!

-Tom

sbutler

Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:50 pm

Its sad to say it, but your first guitar lesson experience was a lesson. It taught you what NOT to do. :)

Now its time to get started for real. Your at the very best spot to learn how to play the guitar. All thats required is just show up, and keep practicing. You'll make big steps that you'll be proud of. That in itself will keep you coming back for more.

If you get stuck on something, this site is the place to ask for help. It won't take but a few minutes and someone, from somewhere around the world will come to your aid.

Welcome Villisca, from Scott in Alaska.

villisca

Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:10 pm

I bought a used Fender Im not sure what the model is but it seems to fit me right :) and i think thats important. But i got to this sight because i love the song hallalujah by leonard Cohen and i wanted to learn it for guitar (im in the prosess of learning it on the piano now) and i hope to find other songs that are nice and slow like that one.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:26 pm

Good for you villisca! TG is the place to be and you won't need to be selling that guitar any time soon! Hope you have a great time here and if you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask, folks are friendly here.
Chris in Swiss

tombo1230

Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:48 pm

villisca wrote:
I bought a used Fender Im not sure what the model is but it seems to fit me right :) and i think thats important. But i got to this sight because i love the song hallalujah by leonard Cohen and i wanted to learn it for guitar (im in the prosess of learning it on the piano now) and i hope to find other songs that are nice and slow like that one.
Welcome to TG villisca. I have been working on Hallelujah myself tonight amongst other things. It is the standard version as I want to play accompaniment for my daughter who also plays and she sings. It is a nice little arpegio version. Good luck with your guitar journey and don't be afraid to ask for help. There is also beginners genius lessons which are free, you might like to look at that.

Good luck,

Tom N (from Scotland). :)

familyman4

Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:08 am

Welcome to TG Villisca,

As many others have stated, and many more would agree, you have indeed found a great place to start your new hobby! Neil is a fantastic instructor, the community is supportive and there is something here for everyone from beginning guitar to playing professionals.

Welcome to the site and have fun!!!

Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic