Hey

bwjohnson

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:01 pm

So I guess this is the standard protocol for new Target members. I have purchased a half dozen songs in the past year or so but was always a bit frustrated when I'd see a lesson review, fly on the wall, theory lesson, etc. that interested me but could not access so Santa gave me a Target subscription. (Much to "Santa's" chagrin as she doesn't have an appreciation for Neil's somewhat rambling, bouncing around weekly updates. Since my mind works like that, I hardly notice :) She says I'm ADD, teaching in public schools maker her an expert, she's probably right)

Anyhoo, the hey should tell you I'm located in the south. North Carolina to be exact, near Charlotte. I started playing the guitar when I was 8 or 9. My brother and I played various small social events for a couple of years until we outgrew the cute kid stage, I guess. Anyhow, true to my ADD, I'd play some then stop, then play some then stop until I was about 20. Then I went close to 20 years without playing. I picked it up again and have been playing for the past 15+ years. I've been around awhile. (When Neil holds up the Doobies Captain and Me album, I say "I had that album".) In any case, what that means is 25+ years of playing the guitar. The problem/frustration is the nature of my playing coupled with my personality has meant that I have learned in bits and pieces across a pretty broad landscape. I know a little bit about a lot of things but have mastery over little. I equate it to a jigsaw puzzle. If mastery for me is a 5000 piece jigsaw puzzle I have about 4000 pieces. Alas, only about 2500 actually fit together and I'm missing another 1000 pieces. (As a point of reference Neil's jigsaw puzzle is the 10,000 variety so my aspirations are markedly below his skill level). Now understand the missing pieces are a mix of the intellectual and physical (e.g. technique). My goal in joining the Target program is two-fold. First, to help fill in the puzzle, finding those missing pieces and getting others to fit and second, to learn some songs that not only put a smile on my face but apply pieces of the puzzle so they become innate. By the way, did I mention I'm also a bit verbose? (lastly, I play fingerstyle exclusively and whatever songs strike my fancy)
Brooks

dennisg

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:41 pm

Hi Brooks,

Welcome from chilly Seattle. Your wife was very thoughtful when she gave you a subscription to the Target program, because if you have any notion of filling in the missing pieces, this is the place to do it. You'll find a lot of people here who learned a few chords as kids, then gave up the guitar for a few decades. As for being verbose, your puny little post wouldn't even make the top thousand list.

Have a good time, join in the discussions, post some videos, and just generally make good use of your wife's generosity.

tovo

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:47 pm

I had no idea that people from the South say "hey" a lot. That's probably because I'm from way, way down South.

If that's a rambling intro, then keep rambling. I enjoyed reading it. I look forward to any contributions from both in terms of videos of your picking or forum posts.

Welcome aboard Brooks.

familyman4

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:49 pm

Hello and welcome Brooks! (From the sunny state of Arizona)

Santa Claus was very, very good to you. (Given your bio, I'm sure you can put an Eddie Murphy twist on phrasing those words and have a chuckle)

It sounds like you have a lot in common with a bunch of us around here. "Jack of all trades and master of none". So, since you have such an understanding of what you are looking for and what you are hoping to get out of your target membership, I will hold off on the advise and just say, Welcome and have fun on your journey!

Great to have you as a fellow TG member.
Bart

willem

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Brooks, welcome from the Netherlands,,you may call me Willem, :laugh: B) ,,thats a nice present you got,, the best way for solving your puzzle is learn a nice song and upload it for review by Neil,,or busking a song.

Playing the guitar(music) is all a bout ,,playing in time,,sustaning notes (or mute them)and this in all kinds of styles,,strumming,fingerpickin,, etc,,learning or practice this in a very low tempo(the one you can handle),,A very important thing is when you play the d... thing is having fun,,,not getting frustrated,, lol.

It cost a lot of time for playing 3 minutes of music.... That said,,well,, I am off and watch my review again and try to make the things right..

Willem

tacticaltal

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:09 pm

Welcome aboard, Brooks. I had a similar situation as you in the on and off portion of your experience. Played about 15-20 years, put it down for 10 years, and now I'm back.

I'm only now getting into fingerpicking, and so it's still a chore for me.

Anyway, welcome to the group, from Evansville, IN

~terry

bwjohnson

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Yes It's "hey" in the south, "Howdy" in Texas, "Hi" in the midwest and "what the he!! are you looking at buddy" in New York City :)
I've always wanted to visit the land down under and partake of the Vegemite (sp?) but every time I see how long it takes to get there...well I guess a Fosters is as close as I'll ever get.

As for videos of my playing I don't really have the appropriate technology...at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. To be honest, I've not reached a point where, in any given song, I'm not acutely aware of my deficiencies. For example, I have a pretty good handle on Landslide; however, I have one transition where it doesn't feel right no matter how many some grace notes I add/delete. One might reasonably say 'but if you video it someone may come up with the answer' But where's the fun in that? Who knows, maybe some day. The beauty of my short attention span is that I've already moved on to South City Midnight Lady and Undun so if/when I get back to Landslide there is a reasonable chance that I'll fall into an answer. Then again, probably not. :laugh: Oh well

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Welcome to the gang Brooks! Of course, there are no other verbose types here, so you'll have the stage all to yourself... I don't think! Hope you have a great time and join in on the forums as well.... and be kind to the missus as you'll be needing the same present next year as it is well known at TG that you can check out but you can never leave... ;-)

Greetings from a frozen Switzerland.
Chris

skaladar

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Hiya Brooks and welcome to TG *waves from NYC* at the moment, the “Frozen Apple”

Welcome may not be the right term since you've been around for a while, welcome to the Target Program would have been more correct. You are so right about the benefits of the target program though. Beyond access to ALL the target songs the student reviews, FOTW’s, theory lessons and more make your gift subscription very worthwhile indeed.

I got a real kick out of your jigsaw puzzle analogy. Having lots, but not all of the pieces and those you do have not all actually fitting together is an interesting way of looking at it. Yep, lots of us have played somewhat before and have now picked up the guitar again to fill in some missing pieces and get them to fit properly. You've come to the right place for that.

I’m looking forward to hearing and hopefully seeing more from you. The next hurdle is to join the up-loaders club. The only cost is a little time and nerve. I can guarantee you’ll be happy with the results.

♫ Ken ♫

NKenny

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:35 pm

Welcome Brooks, Im sure you will like TG and will learn many interesting things. I have been here from the begining and think it is the best money I have spent. Neil is a great teacher and the forum gang are wonderfull with all the positive, helpfull comments.

Kenny

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic