Great site...I am now joining

ajhull

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:07 pm

I have been enjoying the free beginners lessons. I really enjoy Neil Hogan's style of teaching and I am amazed how quickly I have been able to learn from the lessons and improve. I will be joining the target program in the next couple of days.

I devoted about 40 minutes a day for 10 days now and progressed well in my opinion.

I am curious how long it typically takes to be able to play level 5 songs well? Can people please respond with their experience?

Thanks

Adrian in Vancouver, Canada

sbutler

Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:24 pm

Adrian, welcome from south central Alaska. Sounds like you see in Neil what a lot of others around the world have seen. He's got to be one of the best and I have made a huge change in my playing since being on this site.

I learned the basic chord shapes as a kid (40 yrs ago) and didn't touch a guitar again until 3 yrs ago when I found this site. I'm one of those dummys that starts with hard songs. Its frustrating at times, but the tough stuff has techniques that you need for 1000s of songs. So I started working on higher than level 5 from the start. I think working on those techniques pays big dividends.

So to answer your question, I think its a personal thing and you'll get out of it what you put in. If you can stay with the 40 mins a day work, you'll move quickly. But by all means learn to play things slowly at first. It will serve you well later. The biggest problem I face now, is that I have so many songs in my favorites list, that I can't decide which ones to practice. I have dozens of hours worth of songs in there, and I can only get to about 4 or 5 at a time. I try to play each on through 3 times before I move to the next one. So it does take some time.

Again, Welcome aboard and I hope your fun learning here never stops. There is so much here, we'll never catch up. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Scott

thereshopeyet

Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:23 am

Hi Adrian, welcome aboard, glad to see you joining the site, since it's truly a GREAT one! :)

Your question, like Scott says it's personal. To get to level five songs, you need to be at least able to play all your open chords, be able to for example travis pick (like in Dust in the wind), and to be ready to play barrechords. The latter is often the reason why a level five song is graded as such. To get that down, or the travispicking, you need to be on it like a pittbul, but yeah, it'll pay off in dozens and dozens of other songs. Once 'mastered', sooooo many benefits. ;)

So how far are you on all that? And what is the progress that you have seen lately on your playing? do you play 40 minutes straight on, or throughout the day? (I'd advice the latter for getting a special technique down)

cheers from the Netherlands!

Vanessa

Music Junkie

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:11 am

Adrian:

So glad you decided to take the plunge. You will be well rewarded. The list of lessons is quite extensive, and growing all the time. Plus, TG is offering their very first guitar camp this year in September, which should be a great place to learn.

I cannot offer much more than what Scott and Vanessa have already said, it is great information... B)

I never played as a kid, and did not pick up a guitar until I was about 37 or 38 yrs old (can't remember, as I am getting too old... :woohoo: ). I joined this site when it began with a goal of being able to play some campfire tunes and simple renditions of some of my favorite songs. I am proud to say that I have achieved most of that, and have found myself wanting to continue on the path to playing some of the more difficult songs now. If you are practicing for 40min a day, you are doing well, and you will have the level 5 songs down in no time. The trick is to keep it fun, and to keep your interest up (especially through the times when you struggle). If a section of a particular tune gets too frustrating, don't be afraid to put it aside for a day or two (or longer) and work on something else. Often times you will find that when you come back to it, it is not so difficult or frustrating. Then, to top it all of, if you get stuck on something, ask away here in the forums. There are always encouraging folks here who are more than willing to help out. Most of us have shared the same struggles and hurdles.... ;)

Jason
Ventura, CA, USA

auntlynnie

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:35 am

Hi Adrian,
And welcome from Virginia!
As others have said, when you get to level 5 depends on a lot of individual things. But with the Target membership, you can look at the lessons you want to pursue and no matter what level, you can at least begin to learn the chords, etc. Neil has a wealth of information on every lesson, and even if you aren't ready for those particular techniques, you can still learn so much. I personally love hearing all about the musicians and the history of the song or songwriter, influences, etc.

Sometimes I have found that, though I feel comfortably challenged at level 5, there are a few higher level pieces that I have been able to learn (or at least begin working on).

There will always be those seemingly unreachable songs, but eventually you will get there. There is nothing more enjoyable than a song well played, no matter how simple.
Hold onto your goals, but enjoy the journey, too.

Auntlynnie

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic